These brownies are the ultimate holiday treat. With less than 4 grams of net carbs and 170 calories per serving, they are the perfect after dinner dessert.
One of the ingredients I used to make these rich and fudgy low-carb brownies is avocado. It may sound like an unusual ingredient to some of you but it's definitely worth trying. It adds richness and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Don't worry, you won't be able to even tell it's there!
Apart from brownies, avocado works in other ketogenic treats like ice-cream. I used it in my Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream, Key Lime Popsicles and Chocolate Popsicles.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||5.7||grams|
|Magnesium||61||mg (15% RDA)|
|Potassium||240||mg (12% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (9%), protein (12%), fat (79%)
Ingredients (makes 16 servings)
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350 F. Break the chocolate in pieces. Place a bowl over a pot of water and bring to boil. Keep on low heat and make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl (or use a double boiler). Add the butter and let it melt, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a mixer like this one from Kenwood. You can use a hand whisk too. Add the stevia drops (if used), ...
- ... and Erythritol and process until well combined. Halve the avocado and remove the seed.
- Use a spoon and scoop the avocado flesh into a blender. Add coconut milk and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Add the blended avocado into the egg mixture and process until well combined.
- Pour in the melted chocolate & butter and mix until creamy.
- Mix all the remaining dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry mixture into the mixer and process until well combined.
- Place the dough in a baking dish (I used a silicone square baking dish like this one). Flatten with a spatula and transfer into the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set. Keep an eye on the brownie to prevent the top from burning.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down on a cooling rack. When the brownie is hot, it will be crumbly. It will be easy to cut after it cools down.
Enjoy with whipped cream or creamed coconut milk and cacao powder or cinnamon on top!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!