Follow us 148.4k
Buttercream frosting is by far my favorite of all the frostings. Soft, silky and creamy, it’s the perfect topping for cupcakes, cakes or any cake-y treat for a special occasion like Valentine's Day, birthday, or the festive season.
This go-to method below can be adapted to suit most flavors. I’ve made it four ways — vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate and salted caramel — but you could get even more adventurous and try any other flavor combo you love — chocolate mint, berry (using freeze dried berry powder), berry swirl using fresh berries; the options are endless!
The key to getting the perfect consistency is to ensure your butter is at the right temperature. You want it so that when pressed it will leave a slight indent, but not that soft that it feels greasy — it should still be quite firm. If the buttercream is too thick, you can optionally beat in a one to two tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.
For the sweetener, I use erythritol here, but have also used xylitol in the past. Most low-carb sweeteners should work, as long as you use powdered form. If you can get your hands on Allulose, it's even better because it tastes just like sugar!
Lastly, I use a stand-mixer here to make my buttercream, but you could also use an electric beater instead.
One batch of this buttercream frosting will be enough to decorate 6 to 8 cupcakes, and a double batch will be enough to decorate an 8 to 9 inch (20 to 23 cm) cake.
You can keep your buttercrem plain or make any of the following options:
- Vanilla: add 1-2 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract, or seeds from 1/2 - 1 vanilla pod or 1/4 - 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
- Cinnamon: 1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
- Chocolate: add 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder (22 g/ 0.8 oz) and a pinch of sea salt - will make 9 servings
- Salted caramel: add 1/4 cup Homemade Salted Keto Caramel Sauce (60 ml/ 2 fl oz) - will make 10 servings
Although I haven't tested these options, you can also try any of these flavors:
- Lemon: add fine zest from 1 organic lemon, plus 1 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
- Spiced organge: add fine zest from 1 organic orange, plus a pinch of cinnamon
- Berry: add 1 to 4 tbsp freeze-dried berry powder (the more you use the more vibrant the color and concentrated flavor)
- Blue: for a blue frosting effect, add 1 to 3 tsp of blue spirulina powder
- Matcha green tea: for a green frosting effect, add 1 tbsp of matcha powder
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size about 28 g/ 1 oz basic frosting
Allergy information for Silky Smooth Keto Buttercream Frosting 4 Ways
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 28 g/ 1 oz basic frosting)
Net carbs0.8 grams
Calories from carbs 3%, protein 0%, fat 97%
Total carbs0.8 gramsFiber0 gramsSugars0.8 gramsSaturated fat7.1 gramsSodium2 mg(0% RDA)Magnesium0 mg(0% RDA)Potassium3 mg(0% EMR)
Ingredients (makes about 250 g/ 8.8 oz frosting)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature (113 g/ 4 oz)
- 3/4 cup powdered sweetener of choice - Swerve, Erythritol or Allulose work best (120 g/ 4.4 oz)
- Optional: 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream (30 ml)
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!