This is my absolute favourite keto pie crust! It's crunchy and flaky but not too fragile so it won't fall apart when you cut through it.
The flavour is great, slightly buttery with hints of almonds that are not too overpowering thanks to the additional flax meal which also serves as a binder. If you can't eat almonds, check out my Nut-Free Keto Pie Crust which is based on this recipe.
How to Make Flaky Keto Pie Crust
It's easy to make this low-carb pie crust in just a few minutes using 5 common ingredients:
- almond flour
- flax meal
- sea salt
All you need is to combine all the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and them form into a sticky dough. If you're using a large pie crust, it's better to use baking beans — like I did in this keto pie crust recipe — to prevent the dough from forming air bubbles on top. You won't need them if you're making small pie crusts. You can then bake the crust with or without your preferred low-carb filling.
This low-carb pie crust is neutral in taste so it will work well with both sweet and savoury pie fillings.
Sweet Pie Crust Filling
You can use pre-baked the pie crust or use it raw and bake it directly with the filling. I prefer using raw pie crust and baking it together with the filling, as it's less likely to burn the crust in parts where the crust is exposed.
To do that, prepare the filling, press in the pie pans, and then transfer in the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes. Add the filling, and then bake until the filling is set. If you're baking the pie for more than 20 minutes, it's better to loosely cover the pie — or at least the edges — with some baking foil. Keep the temperature at medium, no more than 175 °C/ 350 °F (fan assisted), or 195 °C/ 380 °F (conventional). Try some of these sweet keto pie recipes below.
Savory Keto Pie Crust Filling
Making savoury keto pies is just as easy as making sweet pies! You can follow the same baking tips listed for sweet pie filling above. Try some of these savoury keto pie recipes below.
No-Bake Keto Pie Crust Filling
Use baked pie crust if you're using no-bake fillings. After baking the crust for 8 to 12 minutes, remove from the oven and let it cool down completely before adding the topping. Try some of the no-bake keto pie recipes below.
Serving size 1 slice or mini crust
Allergy information for Flaky Keto Pie Crust
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 slice or mini crust)
Net carbs2.3 grams
Calories from carbs 5%, protein 14%, fat 81%
Total carbs5.7 gramsFiber3.4 gramsSugars1.2 gramsSaturated fat3.1 gramsSodium34 mg(1% RDA)Magnesium82 mg(20% RDA)Potassium203 mg(10% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 1 pie crust, 8 servings)
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C/ 320 °F (fan assisted), or 180 °C/ 355 °F (conventional). In a bowl, mix the almond flour, flax meal and a pinch of salt.
- Add softened butter (or ghee or coconut oil) and egg.
- Use a spoon or your hand to mix until thick dough is formed.
- Transfer into a greased 9-inch (23 cm) tart pan, or into 8 individual 4-inch (10 cm) pans, or into 4 individual 5-inch pans. (Tip: It's best if you use non stick pie pans with removable bottoms. If using a large pie pan, line the bottom with a piece of 9-inch (23 cm) round parchment paper.)
- Using your hand or a small roller, press the dough down the bottom and up the sides to create an edge. If you're using a large pie crust, it's better to use baking beans to weigh the dough down and prevent air bubbles from forming. (Note: Check the tips in the recipe for fillings.)
- Place in a baking tray and transfer into the oven. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the preferred browning, turning the tray halfway to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the tray from the oven and place on a cooling rack. When cool, remove from the pie pans. If needed, you can use a sharp knife to help gently release the pie crusts.
- Store at room temperature in a covered container for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 slice or mini crust)
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!