There is nothing better for this time of year than the aroma of freshly baked apple pie. But in this case you won't need any apples to make it!
I have to admit that I was really hesitant to use zucchini in a sweet pie. I got inspired by this Zucchini Apple Fritter Bread from Lisa of Low-Carb Yum. It's so good you will never know it's not apples!
Apart from zucchini, I used my Keto Caramel Sauce and Sweet Keto Pie Crust to make this recipe.
This pie was a great success. In fact, I managed to fool everyone with my zucchini pie! I didn't tell my fiancé what it's made with and his instant reaction was: "...but I thought that apples are not low-carb?" He loved it and asked for another slice.
A day after I had a friend visiting with her husband. They don't know much about low-carb, paleo or keto so they had no idea that this was not just another apple pie served with some "regular" vanilla ice-cream. You should have seen their faces when I told them that there were no apples, flour or sugar in it. Her husband is diabetic so he was really pleased that he could have a slice without spiking his blood sugar. They asked for the recipe ad have been making it ever since!
Serving size 1 slice
Allergy information for Low-Carb Zucchini Apple Pie
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
- Recipe can be made dairy-free or coconut-free.
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 slice)
Net carbs6.2 grams
Calories from carbs 7%, protein 14%, fat 79%
Total carbs11.1 gramsFiber4.9 gramsSugars4.1 gramsSaturated fat11 gramsSodium76 mg(3% RDA)Magnesium113 mg(28% RDA)Potassium516 mg(26% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 1 pie, 8 servings)
- 1 recipe Sweet Keto Pie Crust - make one large or 8 small pie crusts
- 4-6 zucchini or yellow summer squash, peeled and seeds removed (600 g/ 1.3 lb) - weight excludes peel and core
- 2/3 cup Keto Caramel Sauce (160 g/ 5.6 oz)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (30 ml)
- Follow this recipe to make the pie crust. Once baked, place on a cooling rack and set aside. Here is how to make the caramel sauce.
- Peel, halve and quarter the zucchini lengthwise and cut the middle part off. Alternatively, halve the zucchini lengthwise and use a melon baller to scoop the soft core out.
Note: You can use the scraps (zucchini cores) in another recipe. Simply cut into small pieces and add to soups or sauces.
- Slice the zucchini into medium pieces. Place the slices in a pot with boiling water until barely tender, for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well. Using paper towels, pat try to remove excess moisture from the zucchini slices and place in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the almond flour and Erythritol. Then add butter cut in pieces and use your hands to combine and create crumbly dough. Set aside.
- Into the bowl with the cooked zucchini slices, add cream of tartar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and the caramel sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C/ 300 °F (fan assisted), or 170 °C/ 340 °F (conventional). Place the zucchini mixture on top of the pie crust and spread evenly over the top. Crumble the almond dough over the top and place in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to chill. The filling will need to reach room temperature before you cutting it or it will be too soft.
- Optionally, serve with a scoop of No-churn Vanilla Keto Ice-Cream or whipped creams.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 slice)
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!