Every Easter growing up we used to go into my Italian grandparents house who lived an hours drive away and eat grilled fish and Nan’s Easter pie. Her pie was made using fresh greens from the garden with cracked eggs on top.
Unfortunately she never wrote down the recipe, and it's not something she passed down to her children, so this recipe is based on my memory of Nan’s Easter pie, and some google search results! And you know what, this keto pie tastes pretty close to the delicious pie that we drove an hour to eat each Easter when we were young.
This low-carb pie will keep in the fridge for a few days but can also be frozen for months in case you have any leftovers.
Substitutions for Chard
We used chard (silverbeet) but you can use any greens such as cavolo nero (dark leaf kale), mature spinach, mustard greens or collards. Just make sure to cook until tender without overcooking as these greens will need slightly different cooking times (less cooking time for soft greens like spinach, more for cavolo nero).
Serving size 1 slice
Allergy information for Low-Carb Savory Easter Torta Pasqualina
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 slice)
Net carbs3.6 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 19%, fat 75%
Total carbs6.7 gramsFiber3.2 gramsSugars1.5 gramsSaturated fat7.9 gramsSodium230 mg(10% RDA)Magnesium60 mg(15% RDA)Potassium270 mg(13% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 1 pie, 12 servings)
- 1 recipe keto pastry, you can either use our Multipurpose Keto Pie Crust or Parmesan Pie Crust
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or ghee (30 ml)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 2 bunches chard, leaves only, thick stalks reserved for another use (400 g/ 14.1 oz, about 800 g/ 1.76 lb with stems) or see alternatives above
- 320 g ricotta, drained (11.3 oz)
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tsp)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or any other Italian hard cheese (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese or any cheese of choice such as gruyere or manchego (57 g/ 2 oz)
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F (conventional), or 180 °C/ 355 °F (fan assisted). Cook the pie crust according to directions at 175 °C/ 350 °F (fan assisted), or 195 °C/ 380 °F for 18-20 minutes, baking in a 23 cm/ 9” tart dish.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a large frypan or pot with a lid over low-medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 7 to 10 minutes until very soft, but not browned. Add chard and cover with the lid.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until wilted. Season with salt and set aside to cool.
- Add the chard mix to a colander, and press down to remove excess liquid.
- Combine the chard mix with the ricotta, nutmeg, lemon zest, cheeses and 4 eggs in a large bowl, season and set aside.
- Spoon chard mixture into the prepared pie pan, spreading out evenly. Use the back of a spoon to make a few indentations in the chard mix, and then crack the remaining egg into the centre.
- Use the spoon to swirl it through the indentations to create a rippled effect.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm to touch and golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down slightly before slicing.
- To store, let it cool down completely before placing in the fridge. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Eat cold or reheat in the oven before serving.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 slice)
|Multipurpose Keto Pie Crust, flax-free (KetoDiet blog)|
|1.1 g||2.3 g||8.6 g||93 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||2.3 g||20 kcal|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Onion, brown (yellow), raw|
|0.4 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Chard, Swiss, raw|
|0.7 g||0.6 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|Ricotta cheese, full-fat|
|0.8 g||3 g||3.5 g||46 kcal|
|0.1 g||0 g||0.1 g||1 kcal|
|Lemon zest (peel), fresh|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|0.1 g||1.3 g||1 g||15 kcal|
|0.1 g||1.1 g||1.6 g||19 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.2 g||2.6 g||2 g||30 kcal|
|Total per serving, 1 slice|
|3.6 g||11 g||19 g||233 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!