Asparagus is one of the first spring, non starchy vegetables that appears in most farmers' markets. It's very low in carbs and ideal for the ketogenic diet.
The most common way to use asparagus is to roast it in the oven with a bit of butter and salt — that's how you get the perfect low-carb side for meat dishes. If you want to get a bit more fancy or use it for special occasions like Easter, use it to make this delicious quiche! It tastes great both hot and cold. Make it for lunch and have the leftovers for dinner the next couple of days.
To make this quiche, I used my Savory Keto Pie Crust that is using pork rinds. For a pork-free alternative, use this crust without the sweeteners in it.
Tip: When using ingredients, always go by their weight, especially in case of baked goods. Measures such as cups may vary depending on the brand.
Serving size 1 slice
Allergy information for Low-Carb Easter Quiche
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 slice)
Net carbs3.9 grams
Calories from carbs 3%, protein 28%, fat 69%
Total carbs8.4 gramsFiber4.5 gramsSugars2.8 gramsSaturated fat19 gramsSodium725 mg(32% RDA)Magnesium112 mg(28% RDA)Potassium431 mg(22% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 2 medium spring onions (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 2 cups shredded hard cheese (200 g/ 7.1 oz) - goat's, sheep cheese or cheddar
- 250 g soft goat cheese or cream cheese (8.8 oz)
- 250 g asparagus spears (8.8 oz)
- 1/2 sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil for garnish
- Mix all of the crust ingredients until you get thick dough. Press into a baking tray. I used a rectangular baking tray with removable bottom, 30 x 20 cm (12 x 8 inch) - you can try this one.
- Bake at 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional) for 12 to 15 minutes. When the pie crust is done, remove from the oven and let it cool down. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and add the cream. Season with salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Slice the spring onion and place in a hot pan greased with free. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Take off the heat and let it chill for about 5 minutes. Add to the egg mixture and combine well.
- When the crust is cooked, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Reduce the heat to 175 °C/ 350 °F (fan assisted), or 195 °C/ 380 °F (conventional). Add half of the shredded cheese on top of the crust.
- Crumble the soft goat cheese into the egg mixture and combine well — you can leave small pieces of cream cheese or whisk until smooth. Pour the egg mixture over the shredded cheese.
- Cut the hard stems of the asparagus spears, add on top of the egg mixture and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned and crispy on top.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil. Enjoy hot or cold and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 slice)
|Savory Keto Pie Crust (KetoDiet blog)|
|2 g||19.8 g||16.5 g||266 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.3 g||4.7 g||3.6 g||54 kcal|
|Cream, heavy whipping, pouring, full-fat (30-40% fat)|
|0.4 g||0.3 g||5.7 g||55 kcal|
|Spring onion, scallion, green onion, fresh|
|0.2 g||0.1 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Goat cheese (hard)|
|0.5 g||7.6 g||8.9 g||113 kcal|
|Goat cheese, fresh (soft)|
|0 g||5.8 g||6.6 g||83 kcal|
|0.6 g||0.7 g||0 g||6 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||1.9 g||17 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving, 1 slice|
|3.9 g||39 g||43.2 g||594 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!