Avocados are my favourite keto-friendly superfood! I usually have an avocado every day - either as part of a complete meal or simple snack with just a pinch of salt. You're going to love this salad, it's so tasty, so simple and only takes a few minutes to prepare. Additionally, this recipe is suitable for the fat fast.
Including avocado in your diet is the best way to boost your electrolyte intake without taking supplements. Avocados are very high in fibre and very low in net carbs. An average avocado has less than 4 grams of net carbs, is very high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and contains 50% of your daily potassium. As you may know, sodium, magnesium and potassium are essential electrolytes and will help you beat "keto-flu". If you need to boost your electrolytes, here are even more recipes with avocados.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||12.1||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4%), protein (8.4%), fat (87.6%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 2 large avocados (400 g / 14.2 oz)
- 2 small heads lettuce (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- 2 cups fresh spinach (60 g / 2.1 oz)
- 1 medium spring onion (15 g / 0.5 oz)
- 4 large slices bacon, outdoor-reared (120 g / 4.2 oz)
- Optionally: 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Start by crisping up the bacon. Place the slices in a hot pan. Add ½ cup of water and cook over a medium heat to render the fat and until the bacon is crisped up, for 10-15 minutes. When done, set aside.
- Meanwhile, tear the lettuce and wash well with the spinach. Place in a salad spinner or pat dry with a kitchen towel. Halve and deseed the avocados and slice into stripes.
- Make the vinaigrette by mixing all the ingredients.
- Optionally, peel and slice the hard-boiled eggs.
To cook the eggs: Fill a small saucepan with water up to three quarters. Add a good pinch of salt. This will prevent the eggs from cracking. Bring to a boil. Using a spoon or hand, dip each egg in and out of the boiling water (be careful not to get burnt!). This will prevent the egg from cracking, as the temperature change won't be so dramatic. To get the eggs hard-boiled, you need round 10 minutes. When done, remove from the heat and place in a bowl filled with cold water.
- Assemble the salad by folding the lettuce and spinach in a bowl, add crisped up bacon torn in smaller pieces and sliced avocado. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!