Cauliflower Cheese is comfort food at its best and this keto version is one of the tastiest I’ve ever had. Topped with a speedy low carb crumb and fresh thyme gives it a special extra twist that’s sure to please.
Serve with your favourite side of protein or as an accompaniment with Sunday lunch. Roasting the cauliflower first makes it extra tasty. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||22||grams|
|Magnesium||83||mg (21% RDA)|
|Potassium||638||mg (32% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (11%), fat (84%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
Keto Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 4 tbsp butter (56 g/ 2 oz)
- ½ cup cream cheese (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 cup cheddar (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 2 - 4 tbsp water (30-60 ml)
Note: This is 2 batches of the Keto Cheese Sauce, about 2 cups.
- ¼ cup flax meal (38 g/ 1.3 oz)
- ⅓ cup almond flour (34 g/ 1.2 oz)
- ⅓ cup walnuts, crushed (40 g/ 1.4 oz)
- leaves from 3 sprigs of thyme
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar (38 g/ 1.3 oz)
- 1 tbsp butter (14 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 355 F (fan assisted). Chop the cauliflower florets into chunks.
- Place on a baking tray with 2 tbsp of olive oil, paprika and salt. Roast for 35 - 40 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the Keto Cheese Sauce by following instructions here. (it's a double batch). Prepare the topping by mixing the flax meal, ground almonds, walnuts, thyme and ¾ of the cheddar (keep a little back to sprinkle on top) together in a bowl. Rub with the butter to form a crumb.
- Place the cauliflower in an oven proof dish. Top with the prepared Keto Cheese Sauce, then flax topping mix, remaining cheddar and drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until the topping is golden.
- Top with a little fresh thyme to serve. For best results, eat on the day or store in fridge for up to 3 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!