Haven't found what you're looking for? Please, feel free to send us an e-mail or leave a comment if you have any questions. We'll be happy to answer!
1. Who Created KetoDiet?
KetoDiet is an on-going project I started with my partner Nikos in 2012 and includes KetoDiet for iOS and KetoDiet Basic for iOS and Android. Apart from the apps, I have authored several low-carb cookbooks (my third cookbook will be released in spring 2017).
KetoDiet app is a complex app and took several years to develop. Since the launch in 2012, we have continuously been working on more features and improvements. It's a full-time job for us.
2. I Paid For the iOS App, Can I Get the Android App for Free?
We appreciate your support and we would love to be able to do this! Unfortunately, we have no control over the pricing when it comes to charges between platforms. Apple (iOS) and Google (Android) are different platforms that don't share profits. Since we only receive a part of the proceeds, we can't give the app for free even if you already have the Android or iOS app.
Important: If you want to use our app on the second device, make sure to sign up via Profile > Data Sync. When you sign in to your second device, you'll have all your data synced. Without this step you won't be able to restore your data on another platform.
When it comes to the two apps (iOS and Android), there are no major differences between the two apps. Although we strive for feature parity, some features may temporarily not be available as we have different teams working on both apps at the same time.
3. How Do I Get a Refund?
If for any reason you want to get a refund, you can do it in iTunes (iOS), or on Google Play (Android).
Please, keep in mind that app developers don't have access to transactions and can't issue refunds. To get a refund in iTunes, follow these steps. On Google Play you can do that within 15 minutes of purchase that Google Play provides for this purpose.
4. I Got your "Keto app" and Want to Get a Refund
We get a lot of support requests and complaints for other unrelated apps that use the same or similar names. In fact, we filed DMCAs for several as they are sometimes using our recipes too.
Please contact the support of the app you are using. If you find an app that uses our recipes, please let us know, we appreciate your help!
How do you know if you have our app and not an imposter app? Our app has the egg & fish icon.
How to Cancel App Subscriptions
If you believe that you were being misled and find it difficult to cancel the subscription or to contact support of this app, here's how to cancel the subscription (you do need to do that or they will keep charging you) - for Android, google “how to cancel subscription in Google Play”.
Apart from using several shady tactics, imposter apps (and recently even some well established apps that have changed their names) are parasitising on the good of our app by using the same name such as "Keto Diet App" or "KetoDiet" or "Keto App" which is the same name we used for our free app. Unfortunately, it's hard to do anything about apps that only break ethical rules.
Leave a Review on the Apple Store/Google Play
We have to deal with user complaints which creates overheads for us. Instead, we would much rather spend our time working on our app. If you feel that you were being misled by other apps, the best thing to do - apart from getting a refund - is to write a review.
Follow us 127.6k
5. Why Should I Pay Anything For an App? Many Apps Are Free
When it comes to Apps, the expectations can sometimes be unrealistic and I'd like to explain how we run our blog & apps so there is complete transparency.
Since 2012, with the ever increasing traffic, costs to run our blog also increased. We don't use AdThrive or other advertising services because we want to have complete control of what our readers can see. We only use the Amazon affiliate program and promote a few products we buy ourselves and trust (always with a disclosure). This currently helps us run the blog as it covers the costs of hosting, but it does not cover maintenance and development.
It's a full-time job for me and my partner. The app is only part of my job - I've spent several years creating the content: recipes, articles, reviews, diet plans and challenges. Additionally, creating content costs us a lot of money (hundreds of dollars per recipe cerated by recipe developers and a lot more for expert articles.
The overall feedback we receive has been brilliant and keeps us motivated but there are some people who may complain that our app is expensive.
But is It Really Expensive?
I'd like to give you some background and explain how our pricing works.
Since 2012, we've been adding new features at no extra cost with no subscription fees which is not sustainable long term.
If we want to be able to keep adding features and content, we have to make sure we can afford it. We want to make sure our app is the best it can be via constant development and content creation.
Keep in mind that similar online services that offer same or even fewer features would charge you over 30 USD every month.
Free Recipes, Articles and Diet Plans
There is only so much free content we can provide: hundreds of recipes that we also provide via our integrated blog in the App itself, articles, diet plans and challenges. All this is very rewarding, but also takes an incredible amount of time to create and maintain. Some people take all this for granted but we can only continue doing this if it's sustainable.
The illusion many people have is that creating an app will make them rich. Nothing can be further from the truth. Just ask any app developer and they will no doubt advice you to steer clear from developing an app. The chances of recovering your development costs are minute and a large part of the proceeds is used for further development of the App.
So Much More Than an eBook
Compared to an eBook, our App has required years of commitment and continuous maintenance. In fact, I know what it takes to create an eBook - I have created several free eBooks that you can download here. Even a regular printed cookbook would cost you $15 - $20 and that is just for a fraction of content we offer in our apps.
Free KetoDiet Challenges
We run Keto Challenges that are free to join, with access to our members-only community, useful tools and eBooks. It has been a fantastic experience. At the same time it has also been a very time-consuming process but we are determined to keep improving it. We know that community support and accountability are the most powerful tools to help you achieve your goals - and that's why we created the KetoDiet Challenge!
Our priority is to protect our investment and make the app the best we can for our legitimate users.
What Features Does Your App Include?
- An app that is beautifully designed specifically for low-carb diets and strictly focused on providing quality content with precise nutrition data.
- A complete guide to the Ketogenic diet (a book in its own right).
- Planner and monitoring features (iOS) to track your progress - the most complex part of our app.
- 1,500+ delicious low-carb recipes, all including step-by-step photos and useful tips.
- Fully integrated blog with frequent weekly updates including recipes, diet plans and articles from experts.
- Print-friendly & easy to export shopping list to make managing your shopping easy.
- Support - we always try to reply as soon as possible. Please, keep in mind that due to our very busy schedule, this may take up to a week.
- And many more!
KetoDiet is an ongoing project we've been working on for several years. In order to add new features and new recipes that are often requested by our users, we need to keep this project sustainable. Please, support us by writing a review!
6. Can Multiple Users use KetoDiet on a Single Device?
Not yet but it will be possible with the upcoming update (see more details here).
The iPad is fundamentally a single-user device (at least for now) and we had to build our own infrastructure to support this feature.
The only way to use KetoDiet on the same device is to create two accounts via KetoDiet > Profile > Data Sync. Please keep in mind that you have to sign in and out every time you want to switch. Depending on the amount of data required to sync, it will take time for your device to sync so be patient.
7. Can I Track my Activity / Exercise with the KetoDiet App?
Not yet but we are working on integration with Apple Health Kit. Many apps use partial integration which is easy to do but full integration is complicated and requires a lot of work. Almost there! :-)
8. Does the KetoDiet App have a Barcode Scanning Feature for Adding Ingredients?
Barcode scanning is now in beta testing and will be out soon.
Our priority is accuracy and quality of our database, not quantity as common for most apps. Please read more about our food database and barcode scanning here.
9. Do You Provide Professional Advice?
No, I'm sorry, we don't offer this service.
Our admins will be happy to give you tips or share your questions on our Facebook page, in the KetoDiet Support Group or by leaving a comment on our blog. However, I can't promise I'll reply to e-mails asking for health/weight loss advice. This is down to two reasons:
- I'm not qualified to give you professional personalised advice. If you are looking for personalised advice, please, contact a dietitian or speak to your doctor.
- I have a very busy schedule and very little free time. I take any advice or opinion I share seriously and offering a brief reply is neither helpful nor appropriate. Please, do not get offended if I don't reply to your message.
If you do need to speak to a professional, you can contact a qualified low-carb / keto expert.
10. Future Plans
Most of the features we've been working on have been driven by your feedback. Please keep in mind, KetoDiet is a complex application and adding new features takes time and a lot of effort. Here is just an overview of some of the features we've been working on, and features we are planning to add in the near future:
- Allergy filtering options
- Apple HealthKit & Watch support, activity tracking
- Custom Ingredients: adding custom serving sizes and being able to specify values per slice, tablespoon, cup, etc.
- Add option for recipe notes in custom meals so that you have all you need to make your favourite recipe (instructions, cooking time etc.)
- Basket: improvements when adding meals from the Planner so they always list minimum amounts required to make a recipe, even if you only eat one serving in a given period of time.
Integration with KetoDiet diet plans: my free and premium keto diet plans with just one click
KetoDiet Challenges & community integration so you can get live support via the app!
Even more advanced tracking options including custom tracking (anything you want to track that is not in the options)
Add nutrition facts to hundreds of recipes included in my cookbooks so you can quickly add them to the Planner
(Potentially, although very complicated feature) Multi-user account support with data sync and fast user switching. This feature will be free for the first account. Any additional accounts will be available to buy for 0.99 USD per month to cover the cost of processing and storing the additional data on our servers.
If you have more questions about KetoDiet, please let us know! If you'd like to see a feature that is currently not supported, chances are it is in our to-do list. We really appreciate any feedback and will get back to you as soon as we can. Send us an e-mail or simply leave a comment below!
Here's what we have done so far:
- More tracking options (ketone levels, glucose levels, water intake, cholesterol and triglycerides) --> this has been done
- Option to change e-mail address when using multiple devices and syncing
- Adding "favorites" to the Planner so you can quickly add frequently used meals
- Adding new meals into the Starter pack and existing optional recipe packages (once you get any package, any recipes added in the future are always free!)
- Make KetoDiet Basic a universal App with support for all iOS devices (iPads and iPhones) --> this has been done
- bring KetoDiet Basic to Android --> this has been done
- Make KetoDiet a universal App with support for all iOS devices (iPads and iPhones) --> our current task. Beta testing will start in November 2016, the app will be released in December 2016 or January 2017 --> this has been done
- Provide access to all advanced features for KetoDiet Basic users through an in-app. Not everyone wants to use the advanced features in KetoDiet but we want to make it easy for those who change their minds. This will be done in February 2017 --> this has been done
- Bring KetoDiet to Android and enable an upgrade path from KetoDiet Basic on Android --> this has been done.
- Copy & paste planner meals in iOS (iPhone and iPad)
- New recipe packages - favorite recipes requested by our users - this has been done by integration KetoDiet Meals with Blog Meals
- Android: copy & paste planner meals for quick planning, plus ore features currently available on iOS
- Unify KetoDiet Meals with KetoDiet blog meals so that any filtering can be applied universally
- Enable cloning & editing KetoDiet Meals
- Universal search across all recipes, meals and ingredients when adding them to the Planner
- Continuously updated: dding new restaurant chains to our database to quickly find keto-friendly options when eating out. More free recipes and articles. We will keep adding even more free recipes and articles more frequently via our fully integrated blog!
You can learn more about our Apps, my cookbooks and future plans in in this interview with Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt of Diet Doctor and podcast with Brian of Ketovangelist.
11. AppStore Reviews & Clarifications
I would first like to thank everyone who has left a review on the AppStore. Reviews & feedback is what helps us improve KetoDiet and enables us do our job the best we can. If you like what we do and want to support us, please, don't forget to leave a review!
Although we get excellent feedback from our users there are occasions where people leave misleading feedback. This creates some confusion as people are unsure about the features in the app. The App Store recently enabled developers to reply to reviews but it does not completely solve the problem.
We have no illusions: We know it's impossible to please everyone and users have the right to express their view as they should. What I want to do is to clarify a few points that are incorrect and may cause confusion.
Lastly, there are other developers selling apps whose interest is to downrate other apps. It's not unusual to see reviews that make no sense or complain about non-existing issues. Since the AppStore doesn't give an option to comment on reviews, the only way to deal with them is to get honest reviews from those of you, who actually use our app. That's why honest reviews are so important to us - it's the only way to support us in we do.
Complaints about pricing and in-apps
This is the most common reason for bad reviews on the App Store. In fact, most apps are facing the same issue when it comes to pricing and in-apps. It's a race to the bottom.
We have explained the pricing in the previous sections. If you're unhappy with the in-apps or anything else, you don't have to buy them. In fact, you can get a refund for any app including in-apps. We do all we possibly can to make it absolutely clear that our app contains in-apps: we have the details on the primary AppStore screenshot, in the AppStore description and on our website. Also, AppStore clearly tags apps with "Offers In-App Purchases".
Unfortunately, people who leave bad reviews because of pricing and in-apps have unrealistic expectations. Our app is our livelihood, not just a hobby, and although we give away a lot for free, we have to keep this sustainable. The expectation of paying less than 5 dollars and getting new content for free forever is simply unrealistic.
And don't be mistaken, very few apps are truly free. Apps that are "free" either use advertising or collect your data for marketing purposes. This is something we will never do.
We Need Your Help to Fight Fake Reviews
Over the last few months, our app has been the target of fake reviews on the App Store. Initially, we assumed that this was just a coincidence - we're not naive to expect that everyone will like our app. But we soon realised that this is not a coincidence based on the consistency of the false claims.
Although developers like us can now report fake reviews and respond to them directly, the only way to counter balance this is to persuade genuine users to leave honest reviews. To prove our point, I include a few of the fake reviews below.
Exhibit A: the elephant in the room
Top prize goes to "Awesome tracker" who forgot to change the name before leaving a negative review. It wouldn't be the first time our competition used shady tactics to mislead people in an attempt to damage the good name of our app.
Exhibit B: the deceiver
The user claims there is "no tracker" and there are "no recipes included" for our fully featured KetoDiet App. Ironically enough, tracking is the main feature of the KetoDiet app which also includes hundreds of recipes.
Exhibit C: the serial app store abuser
Apple detects unusual behaviour and in the case below, they refused to offer the reviewer a refund due to "evidence of fraud, refund abuse, or other manipulative behaviour".
The review below was changed several times, each time with a different story, until the "reviewer" decided to go with the single line of "I didn't care for this app".
Our message to those using our KetoDiet app is simple. If you want us to work on improving the app and creating more free recipes rather than spending our time filling up forms to report fake reviews, then please leave an honest review on the App Store or Google Play. It only takes a minute and will help us focus on what really matters - making our app the best we can. Thank you for your support!
Need Technical Support? Send a Support Email!
Please, do not use comments on the blog for technical support. We get a lot of support requests for other apps that use the same or similar name. To ensure you have our app, please contact us via our app under Help > Support. I'm afraid we can't guarantee a speedy reply to any blog post comments.
- KetoDiet App FAQ
- KetoDiet App News
- KetoDiet App FAQ
- Martina Slajerova
- KetoDiet App FAQ
Do you like this post? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this post!