There is nothing quite so satisfying as picking up a big, melty slice of grilled cheese sandwich and biting into that melty goodness. Especially when it's low-carb!
I thought these days were behind me, until I discovered 90 second bread. Now, I just want to make up for lost time by eating a different grilled cheese sandwich every day. I have included some of my favourite variations below. Enjoy!
Extra tip from a reader: substitute part of the almond flour with flax meal for a better flavour and no eggy taste.
If you have time to make a whole loaf of low-carb bread, apart from our 90-second bread you can use our Ultimate Keto Bread, Soul Bread or Fluffy Grain-Free Sunflower Bread.
Optional variations (use instead of the above filling)
- 2 tbsp Red Eye Bacon Jam, 2-3 slices Brie cheese and handful of spinach
- 3-4 oz cooked chicken, 1/4 sliced avocado, 1-2 slices Jarlsburg cheese
- 1-2 slices Pastrami, 3-4 slices Provolone cheese and 2 slices red onion
Serving size sandwich
Allergy information for Low-Carb Quick Grilled Cheese Sandwich
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, sandwich)
Net carbs4.3 grams
Calories from carbs 3%, protein 18%, fat 79%
Total carbs6.8 gramsFiber2.5 gramsSugars1.5 gramsSaturated fat14.8 gramsSodium761 mg(33% RDA)Magnesium90 mg(23% RDA)Potassium276 mg(14% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 1 serving)
- 1 slice cheddar cheese (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 1 slice Swiss cheese (28 g/ 1 oz)
- Place all of the bread ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
- Grease a ramekin, or like me find a bread-shaped storage container. Pour the mixture into the container and shake to distribute evenly.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Turn out and cool on a rack.
Note: If you don’t have a microwave, you can use the oven. Preheat to 175 °C/ 350 °F and bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- When cool, cut in half and spread with butter, if desired. Place the cheese slices in the middle and toast for approx. 5 minutes (or try any of our suggested variations in the post intro). You can toast it in a frypan, in a panini maker or under a broiler.
- Eat with gusto. Store, wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, sandwich)
|Almond flour (blanched ground almonds, almond meal)|
|2.2 g||5.4 g||13.1 g||148 kcal|
|Baking powder, gluten-free|
|0.5 g||0 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|Oil, olive, salad or cooking|
|0 g||0 g||13.5 g||119 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.4 g||6.3 g||4.8 g||72 kcal|
|0.9 g||6.4 g||9.3 g||113 kcal|
|0.4 g||7.5 g||8.7 g||110 kcal|
|Total per serving, sandwich|
|4.3 g||25.6 g||49.4 g||564 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!