My cheats low-carb version of buffalo rice! Made with cauliflower for a low-carb, keto-friendly alternative. A no fuss, one pan healthy keto side that’s packed with all the flavours of the popular rice version but with less carbs.
You can make this into more of a softer risotto sort of texture by adding the stock, which I like, or leave the stock out for a firmer cauliflower rice. You may like to add a little more butter of olive oil if you prefer the crunchier version. Serve with roasted chicken or any protein of choice.
This recipe makes 4 generous side servings (or eaten as a light vegetarian keto dish), or up to 6 smaller side servings.
Serving size about 1 cup
Allergy information for Low-Carb Buffalo Cauliflower Rice
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 1 cup)
Net carbs8.3 grams
Calories from carbs 13%, protein 19%, fat 68%
Total carbs12.3 gramsFiber4 gramsSugars4.9 gramsSaturated fat10.6 gramsSodium808 mg(35% RDA)Magnesium43 mg(11% RDA)Potassium641 mg(32% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets (600 g/ 1.3 lb)
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 1/2 small yellow onion (35 g/ 1.2 oz)
- 2 medium celery sticks, chopped (80 g/ 2.8 oz)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Buffalo Sauce (60 ml/ 2 fl oz), or Sriracha sauce - you can make your own Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- Optional: 1 tbsp chicken broth or filtered water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (113 g/ 4 oz)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 1 medium spring onion, sliced (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor until they resemble rice. A grating blade works best as it will most resemble rice.
- Place the butter, ghee or coconut oil in a pan. Add the onions and celery. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes on a medium-low heat until soft. Stir through the garlic.
- Add the cauliflower rice and franks hot sauce. Stir until combined and season.
- Add the stock (if you want a softer, moist, risotto type cauliflower rice) and simmer on a low-medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes until nearly all the stock has absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the cheddar. Top with blue cheese and spring onions. Taste and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Note: Depending on what hot sauce or sriracha you use, you may wish to amend the hot sauce quantity. Start with a little and keep adding until it’s to your taste.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 1 month (The texture after freezing won't be the same as fresh but can be done if you need to prep it in advance).
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 1 cup)
|4.5 g||2.9 g||0.4 g||38 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||5.8 g||51 kcal|
|Onion, brown (yellow), raw|
|0.6 g||0.1 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|Celery stalk, fresh|
|0.3 g||0.1 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, homemade (KetoDiet blog)|
|1.4 g||0.4 g||0.9 g||15 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|0.9 g||6.5 g||9.4 g||114 kcal|
|0.2 g||1.5 g||2 g||25 kcal|
|Spring onion, scallion, green onion, fresh|
|0.2 g||0.1 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Total per serving, about 1 cup|
|8.3 g||11.7 g||18.6 g||252 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!