Tacos are my go-to meal on busy week days. I always have some of my low-carb tortillas ready to be filled with meat & veggies. This meal is the closest you can get to "regular" tacos without breaking the rules of healthy low-carb eating and knocking yourself out of ketosis. It's ready in just a few minutes and free of preservatives or unnecessary additives often found in ready-made products. Fill the taco shells with spicy beef, avocado and fresh vegetables and you will feel full for hours!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||18.3||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4.2%), protein (18.2%), fat (77.6%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 medium avocado (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1 small head lettuce (100 g / 3.5 oz)
More tips for topping:
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (+ 0.4 g net carbs per serving)
- 4 tbsp soured cream (+ 0.3 g net carbs per serving)
- Easy Russian Slaw (recipe is here)
- Guacamole salad (easy avocado salad, recipe is in the KetoDiet apps)
- other vegetables (peppers, cucumber, cabbage, etc)
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Prepare the tortillas by following this recipe and creating taco shells. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Place the onion and garlic on a pan greased with ghee and cook over a medium-high heat until lightly browned. Stir to avoid burning.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned from all sides while mixing.
I buy ground meat in bulk from my local farmer (here are more tips on how to save time & money on a keto diet).
- Add the chili powder and ground cumin. If you don't have any of these, use 1 ½ tsp of paprika.
- Add the tomato puree and pour in the water. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined and cook until the sauce has reduced to about a quarter and the meat is cooked through.
- When done, set aside and prepare the vegetable topping. Wash and dry all the vegetables on a paper tissue. Halve, deseed, peel and chop the avocado and chop the tomatoes and lettuce.
- Start filling the taco shells (recipe is here - follow instructions for taco shells). Start with the meat mixture and top with tomatoes...
- ... avocado and lettuce. Optionally, add other toppings (grated cheddar cheese, soured cream, etc.)
Enjoy! Instead of taco shells, you can make nachos (recipe is here) and serve the meat as a dip.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!