I'm always looking for new tasty ways to use organ meats, especially liver. Mild tasting chicken livers are delicious when combined with bacon, butter and taco seasoning and cooked with low-carb vegetables such as mushrooms and broccoli. This easy keto dinner is cooked in one skillet which means there's minimum clean up needed!
Why use liver? Liver is one of the top nutrient-dense foods. It's a great source of vitamin A, B12 and copper as well as zinc, riboflavin, niacin, folate, iron and selenium.
Unlike most animal products, liver contains carbs, and interestingly, the carb content varies among different animals so keep that in mind when you use them in keto recipes. These are the values for raw liver (per 100 grams) :
- Cod and turkey liver: 0 grams
- Chicken liver: less than 1 gram
- Veal and pork liver: 3 grams
- Beef liver: 4 grams
- Goose liver: 6 grams
Serving size about 225 g/ 8 oz
Allergy information for Taco Keto Bacon Liver Skillet
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz)
Net carbs6.3 grams
Calories from carbs 5%, protein 26%, fat 69%
Total carbs9.8 gramsFiber3.5 gramsSugars2.5 gramsSaturated fat17.2 gramsSodium928 mg(40% RDA)Magnesium59 mg(15% RDA)Potassium844 mg(42% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 170 g bacon, chopped (6 oz)
- 2 tbsp ghee or avocado oil (30 ml)
- 500 g chicken livers, sliced (1.1 lb)
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter or more avocado oil (57 g/ 2 oz)
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms (140 g/ 5 oz)
- 1 small broccoli, cut into florets (400 g/ 14.1 oz)
- 1/4 cup water (60 ml)
- Slice the bacon and the chicken livers. Slice the mushrooms and chop the broccoli. You can use ready-made taco seasoning or you could even make your own taco seasoning.
- Place the bacon in a hot skillet greased with half of the ghee (or use ghee or avocado oil). Cook on medium-high until rendered and crisped for a few minutes. Add the chicken livers.
- Add the butter and taco seasoning. Cook until opaque and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the content into a plate and use a paper towel to wipe the skillet clean.
- Grease the skillet with the remaining ghee (or use more avocado oil) and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until slightly browned. Add the broccoli and about 1/4 cup water. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the broccoli is crisp tender.
- Add back the livers and cook to heat through, for about a minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Take off the heat and serve. To store, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz)
|Bacon, streaky (high fat content), organic|
|0 g||5.8 g||10.7 g||119 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||7.5 g||68 kcal|
|Liver (chicken), raw|
|0.9 g||21.2 g||6 g||149 kcal|
|Taco seasoning, mixed Mexican spices|
|0.5 g||0.3 g||0.3 g||6 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||11.5 g||102 kcal|
|Mushrooms (white), fresh|
|0.8 g||1.1 g||0.1 g||8 kcal|
|Broccoli, broccolini, fresh|
|4 g||2.8 g||0.4 g||34 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz|
|6.3 g||31.3 g||36.5 g||486 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!