I think that most of you know the very talented Kyndra Holley who is the mastermind behind the well-known low carb & primal blog, Peace, Love and Low-Carb and the very popular Facebook page.
Today I'm sharing a recipe from her latest cookbook, The Primal Low-Carb Kitchen. At first I couldn't decide which recipe to pick because they all look amazing. I was thinking about the Loaded Cauliflower Casserole that is topped with bacon pieces - who doesn't love bacon?! - or the Lemon Blueberry Muffins that use unsweetened applesauce to add sweetness. I thought this was a great idea and even with the applesauce, they are still only 5 grams of net carbs per muffin.
Finally, I chose the first recipe that caught my eye because it's on the book cover. The Cheddar Dill Biscuits were a hit - In fact, I had to make another batch the day after!
You can buy The Primal Low-Carb Kitchen cookbook by Kyndra Holley on Amazon.
What You'll Find in The Book
- Over 85 delicious low-carb/ primal recipes
- Low-carb tips and healthy meal swaps
- Great tips on how to follow a low-carb diet on a budget
- Kyndra's kitchen must-haves (essential kitchen tools and appliances)
- Simple seasoning blends
What I Like About The Book
First thing I noticed when I first opened Kyndra's cookbook was the beautiful photography. Almost all recipes are accompanied by deliciously looking pictures that will also make it easy for you to follow any of her recipes.
The vast majority of recipes are savoury. As you'd expect, recipes include some of the all-time favourites and comfort foods. There are so many great recipes in this book! Here are my favourites which I plan to cook over the next few weeks: Caramelised Onion and Prosciutto "Mac" & Cheese, Beef Stroganoff Meatballs, Eggplant Lasagna, Bacon Cheeseburger Soup, Three-Meat No-Bean Chili Pancetta Parmesan Risotto, Zesty Coleslaw and Lemon Chia Pancakes. You'll even find a section that includes 15 Dressing and Sauces recipes!
I found Kyndra's recipes very easy to follow with few recipe steps and commonly found ingredients. All recipes include nutrition facts which are essential for everyone who wants to track their macronutrients, especially carbs. Ingredients are specified in both measures and amounts: cups, grams and ounces, millilitres and fluid ounces. I find this really helpful as using only measures like cups or tablespoons may lead to mistakes.
Who Is This Book For
This book is great for any health conscious person. It doesn't matter whether you follow a primal, paleo or ketogenic diet. Everyone will find their favourite recipes! Please, keep in mind that several recipes include dairy and are not paleo-friendly. Although some recipes may be slightly higher in carbs and may not be suitable for a very low-carb diet, the vast majority of recipes are keto-friendly. If you follow a vegetarian keto diet, please, keep in mind that most recipes in this book include meat.
Over 85 Delicious Low-carb Recipes
Kyndra's book includes over 85 easy to follow low-carb/ primal recipes that are grouped by categories (starters, main dishes, soups and salads, sides and snacks, breakfast, and dressings & sauces). So how about we make the Cheddar Dill Biscuits! :-)
Disclaimer: I was given this book free of charge. I use Amazon Affiliate links but I'm not affiliated with the author of the book. The opinions expressed and photos in this post are my own.
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 biscuit)
|of which Saturated||8.4||grams|
|Magnesium||56||mg (14% RDA)|
|Potassium||179||mg (9% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4.6%), protein (15.5%), fat (79.9%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 115 g cream cheese (4 oz)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp onion salt (I used ¼ tsp onion powder + ¼ tsp salt)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (115 g / 4 oz)
- 1 ½ cups almond flour (145 g/ 5.1 oz)
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- ¼ cup water (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer on low speed, whip the cream cheese and egg together.
- Add the dill, onion salt, Italian seasoning and garlic. Use a rubber spatula to mix the seasonings into the cream mixture or place in a mixer and process until well combined.
- Add the cheddar cheese, almond flour, heavy cream and water. Using a mixer on low speed, mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Drop the dough in heaping mounds into 8 wells of a lightly greased muffin top pan (or silicon muffin pan). Bake for 20 minutes.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!