It's no news that the ketogenic diet has numerous health benefits. Apart from weight management, the ketogenic approach can be used to treat health conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy, and even cancer.
This week I had the rare opportunity to review a fantastic cookbook, The Ketogenic Kitchen written by Domini Kemp and Patricia Daly. Domini is a food writer and restaurateur, and Patricia is a nutritional therapist who runs two popular websites ParticiaDaly.com and KetoForYou.com. Patricia was also one of the experts at the Keto Summit and her talk "Cancer: A Practical Approach for Preventing and Healing with Keto" is one of the must-watch interviews.
You can buy The Ketogenic Kitchen by Domini Kemp and Patricia Daly on Amazon.
What You'll Find in The Book
- over 200 low-carb & keto recipes organised in categories with ingredient amounts also in grams
- guides to low-carb ("The Low-Carb Way" chapter) & keto eating ("The Ketogenic Way" chapter)
- four weekly ketogenic meal plans
- Domini's and Patricia's stories on how they battled cancer
- Patricia's tips for cancer treatment and recovery
What I Like About The Book
This book is pretty unique and it's so much more than just a cookbook. Both Patricia and Domini have successfully battled their way through cancer and share their personal experience and practical tips on how a low-carb approach can help nourish your body for optimal health.
This book is full of delicious recipes that are quick and easy to prepare with few ingredients - and the photos are mouthwatering! All recipes are low-carb and most are ketogenic and paleo/ primal.
Follow us 133.3k
Who Is This Book For
The first part of the book by Domini is suitable for those who follow a low-carb approach, while the second part by Patricia is ideal for those who follow a ketogenic (i.e. very low-carb) diet. Apart from recipes, this book also includes well-researched tips and easy-to-follow diet plans that are perfect for those who are new to the diet.
Keto Kale Crackers
Today I'm sharing one of the many amazing recipes from The Ketogenic Kitchen: Kale Crackers! The ingredient I was most excited about in this recipe are Brazil nuts. There is no better dietary source of selenium which is essential for thyroid health and great for those with thyroid issues, like me! These keto crackers are crispy and taste great, especially with low-carb toppings such as:
What Patricia says about her recipe:
These crackers are fabulous with pestos, pâtés, guacamole and all kinds of spreads. We know for a fact that most people wouldn’t go far without bread and crackers, which is why you’ll find several recipes for them throughout the book. These crackers can be frozen, but they also keep for at least five days in an airtight container.
Note for KetoDiet iPad App: You will be able to add this recipe to your Custom Meals in the upcoming update of KetoDiet. Reason: this recipe contains a new ingredient that will be added to the KetoDiet database.
Nutritional values (per cracker)
Net carbs1.2 grams
Calories from carbs 5%, protein 11%, fat 84%
Total carbs2.1 gramsFiber1 gramsSugars0.5 gramsSaturated fat2.7 gramsSodium171 mg(7% RDA)Magnesium36 mg(9% RDA)Potassium100 mg(5% EMR)
Ingredients (makes about 28 crackers)
Note: You can make your own Chinese five spice blend. Simply mix equal parts of ground cinnamon, ground cloves, fennel seed powder, star anise powder and Szechwan peppercorn powder.
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C/ 300 °F. Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper. I used strong baking paper lined with aluminium foil on one side that won't stick or tear.
- Put the kale leaves into a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Process again to a smooth paste. Using a spatula, spread the paste onto the lined tray as thinly as possible.
- Bake for 55–70 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like the crackers. Allow to cool down, then break them into pieces by hand or using a pizza cutter.
I wanted to make the crackers extra thin and used 1 1/2 baking sheets and made 28 crackers (instead of 20 crackers).
- Serve with healthy keto dips (see suggestions above).
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!