These savoury zucchini muffins are delicious, moist and full of flavour. They are perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even as a side for your ketogenic and primal lifestyle. In this recipe I used cheddar, Parmesan and added some crisped up bacon and Italian herbs. If you want to add some heat, try with gruyere cheese and jalapeño peppers. For a vegetarian option, you can make these muffins with sun-dried tomatoes, olives and mozzarella.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||6.7||grams|
|Magnesium||53||mg (13% RDA)|
|Potassium||229||mg (12% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (24%), fat (71%).
Ingredients (makes 10 servings):
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Start by crisping up the bacon. Cut the bacon slices into thin strips and place on a hot pan. Add ½ cup of water and cook over a medium heat to render the fat and until the bacon is crisped up, for 10-15 minutes.
- Grate the zucchini and cheddar cheese and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: almond flour, flax meal, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian herbs, salt, pepper and gluten-free baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and water. Add the mixed dry ingredients into the bowl.
- Combine well and add the crisped up bacon, grated zucchini and grated cheddar.
- Combine and spoon into a muffin pan (you should be able to make 10 muffins).
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the muffins are set. When done, remove from the oven and let them cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. To store, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!