I've been experimenting with new ways of using my low-carb tortilla dough. You may have already tried my taco shells and nachos and now using this versatile recipe, I've created crispy bread sticks and even grain-free keto-friendly pizza with the thinnest crust ever!
I'll soon share the pizza recipe, but for now I'll show you how to make the breadsticks in a few easy steps. They are crispy on the outside, soft inside and go great with all sorts of dips: marinara sauce, keto cheese sauce and more (see tips in Ingredients). If you prefer a crispier "Grissini" texture, simply bake them in the oven for 20 more minutes on 125 C / 260 F.
These are, in fact, my second breadstick recipe. The first one uses a dough based on the Ultimate Keto Buns, the all-time favourite on my blog. These breadsticks are included in my Apps (Kalamata Bread Sticks).
Nutritional values (per serving, 4 breadsticks):
|of which Saturated||4||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5.4%), protein (16.5%), fat (78.1%)
Ingredients (makes 5 servings, 20 breadsticks):
Breadsticks (1 recipe keto tortilla dough) - this means you'll need:
- 2 large egg yolks for brushing (use water or melted ghee for egg-free)
- 4 tbsp mixed seeds (caraway, sesame, poppy seed, etc.) or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
Optionally serve with:
Make sure you use kitchen scale for measuring all the dry ingredients. Using just cups may not be enough to achieve best results, especially in baked goods. Weights per cups and tablespoons may vary depending on the product/ brand or if you make you own ingredients (like flaxmeal from flaxseeds).
- Prepare the tortilla dough by following this recipe. You'll use the same ingredients like you would to make tortillas, apart from the oil which is not needed in this recipe.
Leave the dough to rest in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Divide the dough in quarters and then divide each quarter into 5 pieces. Wet your fingers in a bowl of water and roll & press the dough to form breadsticks, about 25 cm / 10 inch long.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with the egg yolks...
- ... and sprinkle with seeds or / and parmesan cheese and salt. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- If you prefer a crunchier texture (more like Grissini), bake for additional 15-20 minutes on 125 C / 260 F. Enjoy!