Asparagus is one of the first spring non starchy vegetables that appears in most farmers' markets. It's very low in carbs and great for the ketogenic diet.
The most common way to use asparagus is to roast it in the oven with a bit of butter and salt - that's how you get the perfect low-carb side for meat dishes. If you want to get a bit more fancy or use it for special occasions like Easter, use it to make this delicious quiche! It tastes great both hot and cold. Make it for lunch and have the leftovers for dinner the next couple of days.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||19||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (27.8%), fat (69.2%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
Crust (1 ½ recipe Savory Keto Pie Crust) - this means you'll need:
- 6 large eggs, free-range or organic
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml / 4 fl oz)
- 2 medium spring onions (30 g / 1.1 oz)
- 2 cups shredded hard cheese (200 g / 7.1 oz) - goat, sheep cheese or cheddar
- 250 g soft goat cheese or cream cheese (8.8 oz)
- 250 g asparagus spears (8.8 oz)
- ½ salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- fresh basil for garnish
*When using ingredients, always go by their weight, especially in case of baked goods. Measures such as cups may vary depending on a product / brand. For a pork-free alternative, use this crust without the sweeteners in it.*
- Prepare the Savory Keto Crust by following this recipe. I used a rectangular baking tray with removable bottom, 30 x 20 cm / 12 x 8 inch - you can try this one.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (see detailed instructions here). When the pie crust is done, remove from the oven and let it cool down. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and add the cream. Season with salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Slice the spring onion and place in a hot pan greased with free. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Take off the heat and let it chill for about 5 minutes. Add to the egg mixture and combine well.
- When the crust is cooked, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. reduce the heat to 175 C / 350 F. Add half of the shredded cheese on top of the crust.
- Crumble the soft goat cheese into the egg mixture and combine well - you can leave small pieces of cream cheese or whisk until smooth. Pour the egg mixture over the shredded cheese.
- Cut the hard stems of the asparagus spears, add on top of the egg mixture and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned and crispy on top.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil. Enjoy hot or cold and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!