Breakfast porridge that tastes like Nutella? Oh yes! Especially if it only takes a few minutes to prepare.
Although there are no oats used in this recipe, you will be surprised how much it tastes like real porridge. Chia seeds and hazelnut butter for creaminess, flaked almonds for the perfect crunch, and hemp seeds for extra magnesium. Best of all, you can enjoy a bowl of this satisfying keto-approved porridge in less than 15 minutes!
Substitutions and Tips
This breakfast porridge recipe is low in carbs, dairy-free and vegan in case that's the approach you follow.
You can make this recipe nut-free by using seed milk instead of nut milk. Here's a guide to making nut & seed milk if you're making your own. To make this recipe coconut-free, simply replace the cream with more hazelnut milk or almond milk.
Need more protein? Add some whey protein powder or collagen before you add the seeds. If needed, use a stick blender to make the mixture smooth before adding the remaining ingredients.
Meal Prep Tip
Here's a meal prep tip from a reader. You can prepare the dry mix in advance. To do that, double or triple the recipe and place the dry ingredients in a jar: almond flakes, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cacao powder and sweetener. This mix can be stored in your pantry for 2 to 3 months.
To make 1 serving, heat up 1/3 + 1 tbsp nut milk, 2 tbsp coconut milk, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp hazelnut butter. Measure out 1/2 cup of the dry mix and add to the hot milk. Stir to combine, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, and then top with 1 square of chopped dark chocolate.
Low-Carb Breakfast Porridge & Cereal Recipes
For more low-carb and keto breakfast cereal recipes, check out some of these options:
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size 1 bowl
Allergy information for Keto Chocolate Hazelnut Porridge
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 bowl)
Net carbs8.9 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 12%, fat 82%
Total carbs21 gramsFiber12 gramsSugars4 gramsSaturated fat12.2 gramsSodium44 mg(2% RDA)Magnesium248 mg(62% RDA)Potassium841 mg(42% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- To toast the almond flakes, place them in a hot dry pan. Cook on medium-high, tossing frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate to prevent further cooking and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, mix the coconut milk, hazelnut milk (or almond milk) and hazelnut butter and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Stir until smooth. Take off the heat.
- Add the cacao powder, sweetener and vanilla. If it's still too chunky you can use a stick blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add the chia seeds and hemp seeds. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes for the chia seeds to bloom.
- Stir in most of the toasted almond flakes, reserving some for topping.
- To serve, divide between two bowls and stir in the chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) and top with the reserved almond flakes.
- Serve while still warm. This porridge is best prepared fresh but it can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and eaten warm or cold.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 bowl)
|Almonds, nuts (flaked, sliced)|
|1.6 g||5.6 g||12.6 g||142 kcal|
|Hazelnut milk natural (unsweetened)|
|0.3 g||0.5 g||2.6 g||26 kcal|
|Coconut milk (full-fat, unsweetened)|
|0.8 g||0.6 g||6 g||56 kcal|
|Hazelnut butter, no salt added|
|2.6 g||4.7 g||19.5 g||202 kcal|
|Erythritol (natural low-carb sweetener)|
|0.5 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Cocoa powder, raw (cacao)|
|1.1 g||1.1 g||0.7 g||12 kcal|
|0.4 g||1.6 g||2.6 g||41 kcal|
|Hemp seeds, hearts (hulled, natural)|
|0.3 g||3.5 g||5 g||60 kcal|
|Vanilla extract, sugar-free, alcohol-based|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Extra dark chocolate, 90% cocoa (cacao)|
|1.3 g||1 g||5.7 g||57 kcal|
|Total per serving, 1 bowl|
|8.9 g||18.6 g||54.7 g||600 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!