If you love ice-cream as much as I do, you will never completely give it up. For occasional treats, you can include this keto-friendly ice-cream in your diet. This recipe has all the healthy fats from coconut oil and is dairy-free which is great for those with lactose intolerance.
As in some of my other recipes, you will need an ice-cream maker to make the ice-cream soft and creamy. I use this professional ice-cream maker from Cuisinart that has a built-in freezer. It's easy to use and makes excellent ice-cream. Depending on your budget, there are some cheaper ice-cream makers without built-in freezer.
If you don't have an ice-cream maker, freeze the coconut milk (or cream) and blend with the rest of ingredients (apart from the chocolate chips). Then, add the chocolate chips and mix with a spoon.
Tips For Super Soft Ice-Cream
This recipe produces soft and creamy ice-cream. However, once left in the freezer for several hours, it will get hard as rock. Below are some tips to help you keep it soft:
- Vodka or other similar alcoholic drink — about 1/4 cup. Vodka is best as it's neutral and leaves no aftertaste.
- Vegetable glycerin — 1-2 tablespoons. This ingredient will prevent crystallisation. It has a minimum effect on blood sugar but I personally count all the carbs in it because it has more calories than sugar.
- MCT oil — about 1/4 cup instead of 1/4 cup coconut oil.
- Also, put the ice-cream in single-serving containers so you don't have to wait for too long until it softens when taken out of the freezer.
Serving size 2 scoops/ 130 g/4.6 oz
Allergy information for Low-Carb Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
- Recipe can be made dairy-free or coconut-free.
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 scoops/ 130 g/4.6 oz)
Net carbs5.6 grams
Calories from carbs 9%, protein 5%, fat 86%
Total carbs10.1 gramsFiber4.4 gramsSugars2.6 gramsSaturated fat15.3 gramsSodium14 mg(1% RDA)Magnesium71 mg(18% RDA)Potassium467 mg(23% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings/ 4 cups)
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!