Haven't found what you're looking for? Please, feel free to send us an e-mail or leave a comment if you have any questions. We'll be happy to answer! :-)
1. Who Created KetoDiet?
KetoDiet is an on-going project I started with my partner Nikos in 2012 and includes KetoDiet for iOS and KetoDiet Basic for iOS and Android. Apart from the apps, I have authored several low-carb cookbooks (my third cookbook will be released in spring 2017).
KetoDiet app is a complex app and took several years to develop. Since the launch in 2012, we have continuously been working on more features and improvements. It's a full-time job for us.
2. What is the Difference Between KetoDiet and KetoDiet Basic?
When we first developed KetoDiet, it was exclusive to the iPad, and now we made it universal on iOS.
We also created a simplified version, KetoDiet Basic which does not include the Planning and Progress monitoring features. You can see a comparison table on our website here.
3. Is there a Planning & Tracking Feature on KetoDiet Basic?
Do you have KetoDiet Basic for iOS and want to use all the features of the fully featured KetoDiet app? You can now upgrade directly from KetoDiet Basic. We enabled this feature in February 2017 (you can read more about the upgrade and pricing in this post).
Do you have KetoDiet Basic for Android and want to use all the features of the fully featured app? Great news! We've been working on a universal Android App that will support the planning & monitoring functionality! We plan to beta-test and release it in mid 2017. You can stay up to date by following my latest posts.
Below are our plans in more detail:
- Make KetoDiet Basic a universal App with support for all iOS devices (iPads and iPhones) --> this has been done!
- bring KetoDiet Basic to Android --> this has been done!
- Make KetoDiet a universal App with support for all iOS devices (iPads and iPhones) --> our current task. Beta testing will start in November 2016, the app will be released in December 2016 or January 2017 --> this has been done!
- Provide access to all advanced features for KetoDiet Basic users through an in-app. Not everyone wants to use the advanced features in KetoDiet but we want to make it easy for those who change their minds. This will be done in February 2017 --> this has been done!
- Bring KetoDiet to Android --> our current task. Beta testing and release are planned for mid 2017.
You can learn more about our Apps, my cookbooks and future plans in a podcast I did with Brian of Ketovangelist!
4. Can In-Apps Be Shared Between KetoDiet and KetoDiet Basic?
No, I'm afraid this is not possible and it's down to technical limitations. Because the apps are different, nothing can be shared between them, including the in-apps. This is, unfortunately, out of our control as Apple won’t allow sharing in-apps between different apps. If it was up to us, we would be more than happy to do that but it's not.
Please, keep in mind that if you get our app on your iPhone and Android device, in-apps cannot be shared even if it's the same app. iOS and Android are two different platforms and they don't share their sales. That's why sharing in-apps is not possible.
5. How About Android and Other Devices?
As you may know, we brought KetoDiet Basic to Android in December 2015. We are now working on bringing the fully featured KetoDiet App to Android.
We will soon be running a beta-testing program (mid 2017) for the new universal KetoDiet app to collect user feedback. If you'd like to join and be one of the first to use our Universal iOS App or Android App, please, let us know (more details are here). Our ultimate goal is to bring KetoDiet to all platforms, not just iOS devices.
6. How Do I Get a Refund?
If for any reason you want to get a refund, you can do it in iTunes (iOS), or on Google Play (Android).
Please, keep in mind that app developers don't have access to transactions and can't issue refunds. To get a refund in iTunes, follow these steps. On Google Play you can do that within 15 minutes of purchase that Google Play provides for this purpose.
7. Why is You App Not Free? Why Do You Have In-Apps?
When it comes to Apps, the expectations can sometimes be unrealistic and I'd like to explain how we run our blog & apps so there is complete transparency.
Since 2012, with the ever increasing traffic, costs to run our blog also increased. We don't use AdThrive or other advertising services because we want to have complete control of what our readers can see. We only use the Amazon affiliate program and promote a few products we buy ourselves and trust (always with a disclosure). This currently helps us run the blog as it covers the costs of hosting, but it does not cover maintenance and development.
KetoDiet App is available for $6.99 USD and KetoDiet Basic for $1.99 USD, plus $12 worth of in-apps that are not required to use it.
It's a full-time job for me and my partner. The app is only part of my job - I've spent several years creating the content: recipes, articles, reviews, diet plans and challenges. The overall feedback we receive has been brilliant and keeps us motivated but there are some people who may complain that our app is expensive.
But is it really expensive? I'd like to give you some background and explain how our pricing works.
Free Recipes, Articles and Diet Plans
There is only so much free content we can provide: hundreds of recipes that we also provide via our integrated blog in the App itself, articles, diet plans and challenges. All this is very rewarding, but also takes an incredible amount of time to create and maintain. Some people take all this for granted but we can only continue doing this if it's sustainable.
The illusion many people have is that creating an app will make them rich. Nothing can be further from the truth. Just ask any app developer and they will no doubt advice you to steer clear from developing an app. The chances of recovering your development costs are minute and a large part of the proceeds is used for further development of the App.
So Much More Than an eBook
Compared to an eBook, our App has required years of commitment and continuous maintenance. In fact, I know what it takes to create an eBook - I have created several free eBooks that you can download here. Even a regular printed cookbook would cost you $15 - $20 and that is just for a fraction of content we offer in our apps.
No Subscription Payments Required
Since 2012, we've been adding new features at no extra cost with no subscription fees for any newly created content. Keep in mind that similar online services that offer same or even fewer features would charge you over $30 every month.
Free KetoDiet Challenges
We run Keto Challenges that are free to join, with access to our members-only community, useful tools and eBooks. It has been a fantastic experience. At the same time it has also been a very time-consuming process but we are determined to keep improving it. We know that community support and accountability are the most powerful tools to help you achieve your goals - and that's why we created the KetoDiet Challenge! Thanks to our amazing sponsors, we even have prizes for our best participants.
Why Have In-Apps?
Contrary to what most people think, in-apps do not exist only to generate money. In our case, the primary drive for in-apps is to ensure that only legitimate users have access to all the available features and a smooth user experience.
People who illegally "install" unauthorised copies of the app on jailbroken devices will have a rather annoying and limited experience. Our priority is to protect our investment and make the app the best we can for our legitimate users.
What Does the Full Price Include?
- An app that is beautifully designed specifically for low-carb diets and strictly focused on providing quality content with precise nutrition data.
- A complete guide to the Ketogenic diet (a book in its own right).
- Planner and monitoring features (iOS) to track your progress - the most complex part of our app.
- Delicious low-carb recipes that are exclusive to the KetoDiet apps, all including step-by-step photos and useful tips.
- Fully integrated blog with frequent weekly updates including recipes, diet plans and articles from experts. All blog content is FREE without any subscription fees.
- Print-friendly & easy to export shopping list to make managing your shopping easy.
- Support - we always try to reply as soon as possible. Please, keep in mind that due to our very busy schedule, this may take up to a week.
KetoDiet is an ongoing project we've been working on for several years. In order to add new features and new recipes that are often requested by our users, we need to keep this project sustainable. Please, support us by writing a review!
8. AppStore Reviews & Clarifications
I would first like to thank everyone who has left a review on the AppStore. Reviews & feedback is what helps us improve KetoDiet and enables us do our job the best we can. If you like what we do and want to support us, please, don't forget to leave a review!
Although we get excellent feedback from our users there are occasions where people leave misleading feedback. This creates some confusion as people are unsure about the features in the app. Sadly there is no way for us to respond directly to the reviews. So the only opportunity we have is to clarify them here.
Below are two reviews where I highlighted the issues I'd like to comment on. We have no illusions: We know it's impossible to please everyone and users have the right to express their view as they should. What I want to do is to clarify a few points that are incorrect and may cause confusion.
Lastly, there are other developers selling apps whose interest is to downrate other apps. It's not unusual to see reviews that make no sense or complain about non-existing issues. Since the AppStore doesn't give an option to comment on reviews, the only way to deal with them is to get honest reviews from those of you, who actually use our app. That's why honest reviews are so important to us - it's the only way to support us in we do.
- Missing features
"it has absolutely no food in here except the recipes they've put in here"
This is incorrect. In KetoDiet you can create your own meals using basic ingredients or just the nutrition info. You can even create your own ingredients if you want to. To be more specific, in your daily Planner, you can use: KetoDiet Meals, any of your Custom Meals & Quick Snacks, Restaurant Meals and hundreds of free Blog Meals.
"I am not able to chart my progress or adapt any reports"
Progress monitoring in KetoDiet is automatic. You just add your daily meals, adjust your measurements, weight, etc and your progress will be updated automatically. There are several different charts we use so you can track your progress.
"I HAVE to use her meals and recipes without adaptions for personal allergies".
We do offer optional ingredients in the recipes and you can always create your own Custom meal.
- Complaints about in-apps
"... There are more recipes inside to purchase", "And the more interesting are an additional price, with most being free on the Internet."
We have explained the pricing in the previous sections. If you're unhappy with the in-apps or anything else, we'll help you get a full refund. However, we do all we can to make it absolutely clear that we have in-apps: we have the details on the primary AppStore screenshot, in the AppStore description and on our website. Also, AppStore clearly tags apps with "Offers In-App Purchases".
We've spent several years creating hundreds of recipes for the app - most of them free, and some recipes were added to existing in-app recipe packages. Unfortunately, people who leave bad reviews because of in-apps (which we make absolutely clear before they buy the app) don't quite understand how the app market works and have unrealistic expectations. Our app is our livelihood, not just a hobby, and it's not a charity. The expectation of paying less than 5 dollars and getting new content for free forever is simply unrealistic.
9. Can Multiple Users use KetoDiet on a Single Device?
Not yet but it will be possible with the upcoming update (see more details here).
The iPad is fundamentally a single-user device (at least for now) and we had to build our own infrastructure to support this feature.
10. Can I Track my Activity / Exercise with the KetoDiet App?
No, you can't but you will be able to in the near future. This feature is in our to-do list for a future update.
11. Does the KetoDiet App have a Bar-Scanning Feature for Adding Ingredients?
No, it doesn't. The good news is that we will add bar scanning in a future update. Once we're satisfied that the data provided is reliable, we will include barcode scanning. The problem with it is that much of the data are incorrect or inaccurate. Also, be mindful that counting carbs is different in the US compared to some other countries (UK, Australia, etc.). In the UK, “total carbs” refers to what is known as "net carbs” in the US. That itself will cause major inaccuracies.
Accuracy is Our Top Priority
Keep in mind, that as little as 10 grams of carbs can easily kick you out of ketosis. For that reason, accuracy is our main focus! KetoDiet App primarily uses raw ingredients with nutritional data obtained from the highly accurate USDA database together with our own keto-friendly database. This is not accidental as we encourage people to use real food and not rely on processed & ready-made meals. We will keep improving our database with each update and keep adding new ingredients on a regular basis.
For the reason outlined above, you may not find all brand products and ready-made meals in KetoDiet App. However, you can always create your own custom meals or even custom ingredients. Other apps (like MFP) follow a different approach where the nutritional data is generated by users. Although the obvious advantage of this approach is that the database is large, it often contains inaccurate & unverified data.
12. Do You Provide Professional Advice?
No, I'm sorry, I / we don't offer this service.
I'll be happy to give you tips or share your questions on our Facebook page, in the KetoDiet Support Group or by leaving a comment on our blog. However, I can't promise I'll reply to e-mails asking for health/weight loss advice. This is down to two reasons:
- I'm not qualified to give you professional personalised advice. If you are looking for personalised advice, please, contact a dietitian or speak to your doctor.
- I have a very busy schedule and very little free time. I take any advice or opinion I share seriously and offering a brief reply is neither helpful nor appropriate. Please, do not get offended if I don't reply to your message.
If you do need to speak to a professional, you can contact a qualified low-carb / keto expert.
13. Future Plans
Most of the features we've been working on have been driven by your feedback. Please keep in mind, KetoDiet is a complex application and adding new features takes time and a lot of effort. Here is just an overview of some of the features we are planning to add in the near future:
- Copy & paste planner meals
- Multi-user account support with data sync and fast user switching. This feature will be free for the first account. Any additional accounts will be available to buy for a small fee to cover the cost of processing and storing the additional data on our servers.
- Universal search across all recipes when adding them to the Planner (blog meals, KetoDiet meals, custom meals, etc)
- Data export, especially progress
- Apple Watch support
- Activity tracking & Health App integration
- Barcode scanning
- Ketone tracking, glucose tracking, and more
- Integration with KetoDiet meal plans
- KetoDiet Challenges & community integration
- Add recipe user notes in custom meals
- Expanding the filtering options for recipes to cover specific dietary requirements (dairy-free, egg-free, etc.)
If you have more questions about KetoDiet, please let us know! If you'd like to see a feature that is currently not supported, chances are it is in our to-do list. We really appreciate any feedback and will get back to you as soon as we can. Send us an e-mail or simply leave a comment below!