Egg muffins are incredibly easy to make and perfect for breakfast or snacking. I used my Basil & Macadamia Pesto to make these muffins but you can also try any of these pesto sauces: Paleo Avocado Pesto and Red Pesto - all take just a few minutes to make and add an amazing flavour boost to your meal!
I used frozen and thawed spinach but you can use fresh spinach and blanch it in boiling water for just a minute. Then, transfer to cold or icy water to cool down and stop cooking. Finally, squeeze out the excess water before using.
Serving size 2 muffins
Allergy information for Low-Carb Pesto Egg Muffins
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 muffins)
Net carbs2.3 grams
Calories from carbs 4%, protein 22%, fat 74%
Total carbs3.7 gramsFiber1.4 gramsSugars0.5 gramsSaturated fat7 gramsSodium362 mg(16% RDA)Magnesium38 mg(9% RDA)Potassium279 mg(14% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 10 egg muffins)
- 2/3 cup frozen spinach, thawed and excess water removed (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 3 tbsp pesto (45 g/ 1.6 oz) - you can make your own pesto
- 1/2 cup kalamata or other olives, pitted (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 125 g soft goat cheese or feta (4.4 oz)
- 6 large eggs
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F (fan assisted), or 195 °C/ 380 °F (conventional). Squeeze out the excess water from the spinach, deseed and slice the olives and chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Crack the eggs into a bowl.
- Add the pesto and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the spinach, crumbled goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and olives evenly into a medium-large silicon muffin pan. (If using a regular pan, lightly grease with olive oil or ghee.)
- Pour in the egg & pesto mixture and transfer into the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until browned on top and cooked inside.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 2 muffins)
|0.3 g||0.8 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|0.6 g||0.3 g||5.9 g||56 kcal|
|0 g||0.2 g||2.6 g||26 kcal|
|Goat cheese, fresh (soft)|
|0 g||4.6 g||5.3 g||66 kcal|
|Sun-dried tomatoes (in oil, drained)|
|1 g||0.3 g||0.8 g||12 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.4 g||7.5 g||5.7 g||86 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving, 2 muffins|
|2.3 g||13.7 g||20.4 g||251 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!