This 2-minute mug cake is a real treat for Valentine's day! It's moist, rich in flavour and the frosting takes it a step closer to real red velvet cake.
The beetroot powder that I used in this recipe gives the mug cakes a pink tint. If you want to achieve a deep red colour, you will have to use a few drops of red food colouring. The products I found in the UK either contained unwanted additives or sugar so I avoided using any food colouring. For more Valentine's day treats, check out more of my ketogenic recipes!
Serving size 1 mug cake
Allergy information for Low-Carb Red Velvet Mug Cake
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 mug cake)
Net carbs8.4 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 10%, fat 84%
Total carbs12.7 gramsFiber4.3 gramsSugars6.5 gramsSaturated fat30 gramsSodium332 mg(14% RDA)Magnesium79 mg(20% RDA)Potassium402 mg(20% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 mug cakes)
- Place the almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, beetroot powder, baking soda, Erythritol and vanilla powder in a bowl and combine well.
- Add the eggs, melted coconut oil and sour cream and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between two mugs. Microwave each mug cake on high for 70-90 seconds. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by mixing the butter, remaining Erythritol, cream cheese and vanilla. For a smooth texture, use a blender. Instead of the frosting, you can use whipped cream or creamed coconut milk with a dash of vanilla.
Tips for cooking in the oven: If you don't have a microwave, I suggest you make 4-8 servings at once. Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F (fan assisted), or 195 °C/ 380 °F (conventional) and cook for about 12-15 minutes or until cooked in the centre.
- Make sure the cakes are fully cooled before frosting. Place the frosting in a piping bag and pipe on top or simply use a spoon spoon and spread on top of each mug cake.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 mug cake)
|Almond flour (blanched ground almonds, almond meal)|
|1.5 g||3.6 g||8.8 g||98 kcal|
|Coconut flour, organic|
|0.6 g||1 g||0.9 g||22 kcal|
|Cocoa powder, raw (cacao)|
|0.6 g||0.5 g||0.4 g||6 kcal|
|Beetroot powder, dehydrated beetroot|
|2 g||0.4 g||0 g||12 kcal|
|Baking soda, raising agent (bicarbonate of soda)|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Vanilla extract, powder (vanilla bean)|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|Erythritol (natural low-carb sweetener)|
|1 g||0 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.4 g||6.3 g||4.8 g||72 kcal|
|Coconut oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||13.5 g||121 kcal|
|1.3 g||0.7 g||5.6 g||57 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||11.5 g||102 kcal|
|Cream cheese, soft (full-fat)|
|1 g||2.1 g||8.4 g||74 kcal|
|Total per serving, 1 mug cake|
|8.4 g||14.8 g||53.8 g||571 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!