I never used to be much of a fan of coconut. I can remember that my sister used to like those Bounty bars (check out these Keto Bounty Bars), which were basically chocolate coated coconut. I didn’t realise until later in life that there was a god chance that she chose them because she knew that there was no way that I’d pilfer them. Hmmmm…
Anyway, flash forward to my low carb life and I now love coconut and never more so that when combined with chocolate.
Now, these tarts are on the high end of low carb desserts, but… these tarts are divine.
They are lush and decadent. The velvety custard against the crisp crunch of the chocolate shell is a study in delicious textures.
I digress, try them yourself and let me know what you think.
Serving size tart
Allergy information for Low-Carb Chocolate & Coconut Custard Tarts
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, tart)
Net carbs8.5 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 9%, fat 85%
Total carbs14.6 gramsFiber6.2 gramsSugars2.8 gramsSaturated fat29 gramsSodium64 mg(3% RDA)Magnesium164 mg(41% RDA)Potassium557 mg(28% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 tarts)
Custard & Topping:
- Preheat oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F (fan assisted), or 195 °C/ 380 °F (conventional).
- Place almond flour, cacao, Erythritol and melted butter together in a bowl and mix well. Spray one large of six individual tart pans with olive oil or coconut oil spray.
- Divide the crust mixture between 6 tart pans (12 cm /5 inch each) and press into pan using the back of a dessert spoon. I have learned over the years to finish off around the edges using a 1/4 cup measure. The edge of the measuring cup helps to create a nice angle to the bottom of the tart.
- Prick all over the base of the tarts with a fork and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until cooked but no scorched (be careful with chocolate crusts as it's hard on the colour when they are about to get burnt).
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Melt the dark chocolate in a jug in the microwave or a double-boiler.
- Paint a thin layer of chocolate inside the tart shell and place in the fridge to set (not only is this a delicious addition, but it helps to stop any sogginess of the tart shell). Sit the remaining melted chocolate aside to use to garnish the finished tarts.
- Meanwhile, place the coconut milk in a medium saucepan and add the sweetener, salt and vanilla. Heat gently until just below a simmer and remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks and egg in a bowl and very slowly add them to the hot coconut milk, whisking well the whole time. Return to the stove over a medium heat and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Once the custard has thickened, strain it through a fine sieve and then set aside to cool with a sheet of cling wrap on the surface to avoid a skin forming.
- Once cool, but not set, spoon into the tart shells and refrigerate until set.
- To decorate, place a piece of paper over half of the tart and dust the balance with cacao powder.
- Add some coconut shavings and then re-melt the dark chocolate. Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the tarts.
- These tarts can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, tart)
|Almond flour (blanched ground almonds, almond meal)|
|2.2 g||5.4 g||13.1 g||148 kcal|
|Cocoa powder, raw (cacao)|
|1.5 g||1.4 g||1 g||16 kcal|
|Erythritol (natural low-carb sweetener)|
|0.4 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||11.5 g||102 kcal|
|Coconut milk (full-fat, unsweetened)|
|2.1 g||1.5 g||16.2 g||150 kcal|
|Egg yolk, fresh|
|0.5 g||2.2 g||3.8 g||46 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.1 g||1 g||0.8 g||12 kcal|
|Vanilla extract, sugar-free, alcohol-based|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Erythritol (natural low-carb sweetener)|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Extra dark chocolate, 90% cocoa (cacao)|
|1.3 g||1 g||5.4 g||54 kcal|
|Coconut chips, unsweetened (dried, flaked coconut)|
|0.2 g||0.2 g||1.6 g||17 kcal|
|Total per serving, tart|
|8.5 g||12.8 g||53.4 g||548 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!