I love casseroles! They are the perfect anytime meal — you can serve them for breakfast, lunch or dinner, especially when you're too busy to cook every day.
Here we've got juicy gluten-free sausage meat browned on a skillet with caramelized onions and then baked with parmesan-mustard eggs, green beans and creamy brie topping. What's not to love?
And don't worry if you can't find gluten-free sausage meat. You can simply use ground pork and add a pinch of salt, pepper and fresh or dried herbs to taste (try with thyme, basil, rosemary, parsley or chives). If you're using ground pork, the leaner the meat the better. You don't want your casserole to be "swimming" in fat. Even if that happens, just use paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
You can serve this easy casserole dish on its own, with a simple side salad, or with acidic sides such as pickles (gherkins). You can also serve it with our Quick Pickled Cucumbers, Zucchini Pickles, Fermented Carrots or Pickled Radishes. Enjoy!
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size about 225 g/ 8 oz
Allergy information for Low-Carb Brie & Sausage Casserole
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz)
Net carbs5.3 grams
Calories from carbs 5%, protein 24%, fat 71%
Total carbs7.8 gramsFiber2.4 gramsSugars4.1 gramsSaturated fat19.6 gramsSodium773 mg(34% RDA)Magnesium46 mg(11% RDA)Potassium432 mg(22% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 400 g gluten-free sausage meat (14.1 oz)
- 1 round brie cheese (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 400 g trimmed green beans (14.1 oz)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard or yellow mustard (15 ml)
- 1 tbsp ghee or virgin avocado oil (15 ml)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- Optional: fresh herbs and pickled cucumbers (gherkins), to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F (conventional), or 180 °C/ 355 °F (fan assisted). Prepare all the ingredients. If you use whole sausages rather than sausage meat, remove the casing. Cut the brie into thin slices and dice the onion.
- Pre-cook the green beans. Cut the beans in half and place in a sauce pan filled with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over a high heat. Once boiling, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a colander. Rinse with cold water and set aside to drain.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, parmesan and Dijon (or yellow) mustard. Set aside.
- Grease a skillet with ghee (or avocado oil) and heat over a medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until lightly brown and fragrant. Add the sausage meat and cook until opaque, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer into a deep 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Add the cooked and drained green beans and toss through to combine.
- Add the whisked eggs to the casserole dish and gently stir through to combine. Top with the brie slices.
- Transfer into the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Once golden and cooked through, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down for a few minutes. If the top gets too oily, use a paper towel to soak up any excess fat.
- Eat warm or cold optionally sprinkled with parsley or chives and serve with pickled cucumbers (gherkins) or simple side salads. To store, keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz)
|Sausages, pastured, free of gluten and sugar|
|0.4 g||11.1 g||11.9 g||153 kcal|
|0.2 g||6.9 g||9.2 g||111 kcal|
|Green beans, fresh|
|2.8 g||1.2 g||0.1 g||21 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.1 g||2.1 g||1.6 g||24 kcal|
|Cream, heavy whipping, pouring, full-fat (30-40% fat)|
|0.5 g||0.4 g||7.6 g||73 kcal|
|0.5 g||5.4 g||3.9 g||59 kcal|
|0 g||0.1 g||0.1 g||2 kcal|
|Ghee, clarified butter|
|0 g||0 g||2.5 g||23 kcal|
|Onion, brown (yellow), raw|
|0.7 g||0.1 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Total per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz|
|5.3 g||27.2 g||36.9 g||470 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!