The tenderest of fillet steak, paired with deliciously charred asparagus spears and drizzled in the most incredible low-carb tomato and basil hollandaise sauce.
This is a great OMAD or TMAD style keto dinner. If intermittent fasting and eating one or two meals a day is not your thing, you can easily reduce the amount of protein by serving smaller steaks, and/or you can reduce the amount of fat by using less Hollandaise sauce.
This Valentine's Day inspired meal is a little bit fancy, to make any night feel like an occasion, but also so quick to whip up that you can have it on the table in under half an hour. And my super easy hollandaise sauce? You’re welcome. Enjoy!
Serving size steak + asparagus + sauce
Allergy information for Keto Steak Dinner For Two
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving, steak + asparagus + sauce)
Net carbs4.4 grams
Calories from carbs 1%, protein 19%, fat 80%
Total carbs7.4 gramsFiber3 gramsSugars2.6 gramsSaturated fat53.3 gramsSodium740 mg(32% RDA)Magnesium76 mg(19% RDA)Potassium1,135 mg(57% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 1 stick unsalted butter or ghee (113 g/ 4 oz) or 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes (9 g/ 0.3 oz)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 lean beef steaks such as sirloin or fillet mignon (500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove the steaks from your fridge and sit on the bench to come to room temperature.
(Note: this is an OMAD style meal. If you need to reduce the amount of protein and/or fat, serve smaller steaks and reduce the amount of hollandaise to serve them with.)
- Make the hollandaise by taking a large-mouthed mason jar, or any jar that your hand blender will comfortably fit inside. Place the jar on your scale and zero it back. Place the butter in the jar and then melt it in the microwave until just melted.
(Note: You can swap the butter with ghee or extra virgin olive oil.)
- Place the egg yolks and lemon juice into the butter.
- Place the hand blender at the bottom of the jar and blitz until combined, lifting the blender slowly. You can either blitz the tomato and basil into the sauce or stir it through at the end…or half and half. It all depends on your personal preferences – I did half and half. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus by bending them gently until they snap, trimming the ends if desired. Place them in a bowl with the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Preheat your bbq grill or grill pan until very hot. If you are using a grill pan, rub each side of your steaks with olive oil. Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Lay your steaks on your grill surface and leave for two minutes, rotate them a 1/4 turn if you want criss-cross grill marks. If you don’t, leave them where they are. It’s very important to not move the steaks around while they cook.
- Cook the steaks for 3-5 minutes each side, depending on your desired level of doneness. Remove from the heat but don’t turn the grill off. Cover the steaks loosely with foil and leave to rest while you grill the asparagus.
- Place the asparagus onto the hot grill, cover and cook for approx. 10 minutes, turning halfway.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper when done. Store leftover hollandaise in a jar in the fridge for up to three days. Warm gently before using.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, steak + asparagus + sauce)
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.5 g||45.8 g||405 kcal|
|Egg, yolk, raw, fresh|
|0.9 g||4 g||6.8 g||82 kcal|
|Lemon juice, fresh|
|0.3 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Sun-dried tomatoes (in oil, drained)|
|0.8 g||0.2 g||0.6 g||10 kcal|
|0 g||0.1 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Filet mignon, beef tenderloin, raw|
|0 g||49 g||45.4 g||618 kcal|
|Avocado oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||2.3 g||20 kcal|
|2.2 g||2.8 g||0.2 g||25 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||6.8 g||60 kcal|
|Total per serving, steak + asparagus + sauce|
|4.4 g||56.7 g||107.8 g||1,221 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!