I love Caesar salad and have created several variations using different ingredients. This recipe uses duck breasts and grain-free croutons. A more traditional version using crispy chicken can be found in my App and yet another served in a cheese bowl is included in The KetoDiet Cookbook which will be out this November and is already available to preorder.
The Chia Seed Croutons are optional but highly recommended - you won't even tell they are grain-free! Once you bake and cut them into pieces, place them back in the oven and see the magic happen - they get really crispy :-) This amazing recipe was created by Leanne of Healthful Pursuit. If you are looking for some of the best grain-free, paleo and keto recipes, you should really check out Leanne's blog.
Sign up for FREE and get:
- 3 free diet plans to help you kickstart
your diet, lose weight and get healthy
- Recipes, giveaways and exclusive
deals delivered directly to your inbox
- A chance to win the KetoDiet app
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||22.7||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (2%), protein (21%), fat (77%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- two average duck breasts (400 g / 14.1 oz) / chicken will work too
- 8 regular slices bacon (120 g / 4.2 oz, about 64 g / 2.2 oz after crisping up)
- 4 heads Romaine or other green lettuce (800 g / 1.76 lb)
- 4 servings Fat-burning Salad Dressing (8 tbsp)
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese flakes (110 g)
- salt and pepper to taste (I like pink Himalayan rock salt)
- Optional: 8 anchovies (32 g / 1.1 oz) - no additional carbs
- Optional but highly recommended: Chia Seed Croutons, recipe makes about 8 servings, + 0.7 g net carbs per serving
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Make the croutons. If using the Chia Seed Croutons, follow the recipe at Healthful Pursuit. I added a teaspoon of garlic powder in mine :-)
- Make the crispy bacon. Preheat the oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay the bacon strips out flat on the baking paper, leaving space so they don't overlap. Place the tray in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. The time depends on the thickness of the bacon slices. When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down. Once chilled, break into smaller pieces. Pour the bacon grease into a glass container and use for cooking (great with fried eggs as it adds a fantastic flavour boost).
- Prepare the duck breasts. Increase the temperature in the oven to 220 °C/ 430 °F. Pat the skin with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Score the skin and season with salt and pepper. Heat a medium pan over a medium-high heat. Place the duck breasts skin side down into the hot dry pan (no oil needed) and turn the heat down.
- As the fat is released, pour it over the breasts regularly and cook for 6-8 minutes or until lightly golden. Turn on the other side and cook for about 30 seconds just to seal the breasts.
- Place the breasts skin side up on a rack in a roasting tin and transfer into the oven. Cook for 10 minutes for rare, 15 minutes for medium or 18 minutes for well done. When the duck is cooked, rest the meat in a warm place for about 10 minutes (do not cover or you will lose the crispness).
- Pour the fat from the pan and from the roasting tin through a sieve into a glass container and let it cool down. Once chilled, cover with a lid and keep at room temperature or in the fridge. Duck fat can be used just like bacon grease - use for cooking.
- Prepare the dressing and other ingredients. Use a potato peeler to make the parmesan flakes. Wash and drain the lettuce in a salad spinner or just by pat dry using a paper towel.
- Assemble the salad. Place the lettuce in a serving bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Slice the duck breasts into thin strips and place on top of the lettuce. Add the parmesan flakes and crisped up and crumbled bacon. Optionally, top with anchovies and Chia Seed Croutons.
- Duck Caesar Salad
- Duck Caesar Salad
- Martina Slajerova
- Duck Caesar Salad
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!