This low-carb Bacon and Cheese Vegetable Gratin has brunch time sorted.
Weekends are the time I look forward to a lazy brunch. After a busy week there’s nothing better than a comforting breakfast with the family. When I served this I literally giggled with all the lip smacking ‘wows’ that came from round the table. I mean who doesn’t love cheese and bacon? But with so much veg packed into one tiny tray it’s super filling and yet low carb.
Keeps well in the fridge too so you can reheat the leftovers for dinner. Let me know what you think of this one in the comments below. I love it.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||5.8||grams|
|Magnesium||40||mg (10% RDA)|
|Potassium||549||mg (27% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (19%), protein (17%), fat (64%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- ½ medium red onion (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- ⅓ medium celeriac (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- ½ small spaghetti squash (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 small carrots (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 2 large courgettes (zucchini) (430 g/ 15.2 oz)
- ½ small leek (40 g/ 1.4 oz)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 70 g full fat soft cheese (2.5 oz)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- ¾ cup grated cheddar (85 g/ 3 oz)
- 5 slices bacon (150 g/ 3.5 oz)
- ⅓ cup sun blushed or sun dried tomatoes (37 g/ 1.3 oz)
- small bunch kale (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- ⅔ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F (fan assisted). Peel the spaghetti squash, carrots and celeriac. Grate (using a food processor with a grating blade or option to do by hand) the squash, carrots, courgettes and celeriac.
- Finely chop the onion and leek. Slice the bacon into cubes.
- Fry the bacon in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the onion, fry for 1 further minute. Add the leek for a further 2 minutes and finally add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Total of 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a large saucepan or use 2 regular 16 - 20 inch saucepans. If using 2 regular saucepans add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the dry pan. Split the bacon mix between the 2 pans and add the grated squash, carrots, celeriac, and courgettes. Fry for 5 minutes. If using a larger pan you may need to cook for a little longer until the vegetables are soft. Add the kale and parsley, mix well.
- Stir through the cream cheese, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place into a baking tray (28 x 20) and spread to the edges. Top with sun blushed or sun dried tomatoes and sprinkle with cheddar and a touch more paprika.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the cheese melts and is golden on top. To store, refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!