These meatballs are perfect for a cocktail party or any special occasion. They are flavoured with Italian herbs, marinara sauce and topped with olives. With a hidden surprise inside, these meatballs will disappear from your table before you even know it. If you make the meatballs in advance and need to reheat them, have a look at these great tips at The Kitchn. For more healthy ideas, check out my keto party recipes!
Nutritional values (per meatball)
|of which Saturated||3||grams|
|Magnesium||15||mg (4% RDA)|
|Potassium||117||mg (6% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (24%), fat (73%)
Ingredients (makes 20-25 meatballs)
Sauce and Topping:
Tip: If served for dinner, it will be enough for four people. Try the meatballs on top of cauli-rice or zucchini noodles.
- Preheat the oven to 230 C / 450 F. Dice the mozzarella in 20-25 equal sized pieces. Place it in the freezer for 30-60 minutes. Freezing the cheese will prevent it from leaking out while baking. Place the meat, egg, minced garlic, thyme, oregano, ...
- ... almond flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Mix until well combined using your hands or a mixer.
- Divide the meat into 20-25 pieces (I made 20). Remove the cheese from the freezer.
- Take each piece and flatten using your hands. Place a piece of the mozzarella cheese in the middle and fold the meat over it.
- Briefly roll between hands and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. Place in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Marinara Sauce. Place the marinara sauce in a large pan and heat up over a medium heat.
The first time I made this recipe, I used too much marinara sauce (photo below) which I then used to make another batch of meatballs.
- Take the meatballs from the oven and place in the pan with marinara sauce. Using a spoon or a spatula, cover with the sauce from all sides. Drain the olives (I used both green and black Kalamata olives).
- Insert a toothpick into each olive and then into each meatball. Garnish with freshly chopped basil and enjoy!
Tip: You can serve the marinara sauce separately from the meatballs by dipping into it.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!