I make all sorts of waffles, both sweet (like these Pumpkin Spice Waffles) and savoury. I often make them in advance and keep in the fridge or freezer for a quick snack when I don't have time to cook.
When it comes to the ingredients, whey protein (or egg white protein if you are allergic to dairy) give the waffles their crispiness. Coconut oil, which is one of my favourite ingredients, adds moisture and has many health benefits. I also like using coconut flour because it has the best fat profile from all low-carb flour alternatives and is very heat-stable.
Baking soda and cream of tartar act as raising agents and give the waffles volume. Instead of these two, you can also use gluten-free and aluminium-free baking powder.
Finally, Erythritol (or Swerve) gives them volume and sweetness with the minimum amount of net carbs. If you want to add more crispiness and taste almost identical to regular waffles, you can use a tablespoon of tagatose, a natural sweetener that browns and caramelises just like sugar.
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 waffles):
|of which Saturated||15.4||grams|
|Magnesium||58||mg (15% RDA)|
|Potassium||355||mg (18% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8.1%), protein (22.2%), fat (69.7%)
Ingredients (makes 5 servings, 10 waffles):
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- First, measure all the dry ingredients. Preheat the waffle iron and make sure it's hot before you pour the mixture in (this is a good and affordable waffle iron).
- Mix all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Melt the coconut oil over low heat.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl. Add all the wet ingredients and whisk well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter in the waffle maker, close and cook for a minute or two. Time depends on the waffle maker.
- When done, place on a serving plate. Store any leftover waffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for longer.
- Enjoy! :-)
Optional: You can serve the waffles with a tablespoon of grass-fed butter, a scoop of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream, a dollop of soured cream, full-fat yogurt, a tablespoon of fruit jams like Home-made Strawberry & Rhubarb Jam or Dark Cherry Chia Jam.