Think keto and casseroles can’t go together? Think again! This low-carb friendly casserole has layers of tender chicken, cheesy mozzarella and parmesan, tangy pesto, spinach, and roasted cherry tomatoes! Doesn’t that sound amazing?
This is a super easy recipe that will please even the pickiest of eaters, even the ones who don’t normally eat keto. How could you go wrong with cheese and chicken? And when I say easy I mean really easy.
All you have to do is layer the chicken cutlets into a large casserole dish, top with pesto, spinach, and mozzarella then top with another layer in the same order. After that you’ll add the cherry tomatoes to the sides and sprinkle with some parmesan and bake until bubbly. For a complete meal I would serve this with a green salad and an Italian vinaigrette.
Allergy information for Low-Carb Pesto Caprese Chicken Casserole
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs3.2 grams
Calories from carbs 3%, protein 44%, fat 53%
Total carbs4.6 gramsFiber1.3 gramsSugars1.6 gramsSaturated fat8.7 gramsSodium985 mg(43% RDA)Magnesium84 mg(21% RDA)Potassium854 mg(43% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 3 lbs chicken cutlets, breasts (1.36 kg)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup pesto (188 g/ 6.6 oz) - you can make your own pesto
- 3 oz baby spinach (85 g)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 13 oz fresh mozzarella (370 g)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- fresh basil, for garnish
Note: Using chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts will decrease the protein and increase the fat content per serving. If using skinless and boneless chicken thighs: 47 g protein, and 31 g fat.
- Preheat your oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F (conventional), or 180 °C/ 355 °F (fan assisted). Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Layer half of the cutlets into the bottom of a large casserole dish. Top with half of the pesto.
- Add half of the spinach, and half of the mozzarella. Repeat with another layer.
- Top the casserole with the parmesan cheese and add the cherry tomatoes to the sides.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is golden and bubbly. If you’d like you can place the casserole under the broiler for 3-4 minutes to crisp up the cheese at the end.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve. To store, let it cool down and keep refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Chicken, breast (without skin, raw)|
|0 g||38.3 g||4.5 g||204 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Basil & Macadamia Pesto (KetoDiet blog)|
|0.9 g||0.8 g||15.5 g||143 kcal|
|0.2 g||0.3 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Tomatoes, cherry, fresh, all varieties|
|0.7 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|Mozzarella cheese, fresh (for salads)|
|1.3 g||11.2 g||7.3 g||117 kcal|
|0.2 g||2 g||1.5 g||22 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|3.2 g||52.8 g||28.9 g||496 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!