Finger food. It can be a tricky one to replace when you start eating low carb. You’ve got guests coming and you want to put something tasty and crunchy out on the table that can be dipped into a pot of yumminess while they enjoy a drink and a laugh.
Step aside potato chips, you’ve got no place here. These crumbed mushrooms are crispy, tasty and soooo moreish, especially when combined with a creamy Ranch dip. I used Portobello mushrooms because I love the nice big slices, but any mushroom will do. Just make sure that your slice is a good thickness.
This serves six generous servings, but you could make it an entree and serve four if you wanted? Hmmmmmm, next time. Enjoy!
Allergy information for Low-Carb Crumbed Portobello Mushrooms
✔ Gluten free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs5.5 grams
Calories from carbs 10%, protein 24%, fat 66%
Total carbs10.8 gramsFiber5.3 gramsSugars4 gramsSaturated fat3.4 gramsSodium414 mg(18% RDA)Magnesium79 mg(20% RDA)Potassium636 mg(32% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 8 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed (672 g/ 1.5 lb)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond flour (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (38 g/ 1.3 oz)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan or other Italian hard cheese (68 g/ 2.4 oz)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Optionally, serve with Keto Ranch Dressing
- Preheat oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional). Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Slice the mushrooms into thick slices (approx. 1/4 inch/ 1/2 cm)
- Beat the eggs in one bowl and add all of the dry ingredients into another.
- Place the mushroom slices, one at a time in the egg bath and then dredge through the dry coating. Make sure each slice is well coated. Place on the oven tray and continue until all slices are coated.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until browned and crispy, turning over halfway through. Hint: You can give them a mist of olive oil spray to help the crisping process.
- Let cool on rack and serve with ranch dipping sauce.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Portobello mushrooms, fresh|
|2.9 g||2.4 g||0.4 g||25 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.1 g||2.1 g||1.6 g||24 kcal|
|Almond flour (blanched ground almonds, almond meal)|
|1.5 g||3.6 g||8.8 g||98 kcal|
|Flax meal (flaxmeal), ground flaxseed|
|0.1 g||1.1 g||2.6 g||33 kcal|
|0.4 g||4 g||2.9 g||44 kcal|
|Paprika, smoked (spices)|
|0.2 g||0.2 g||0.1 g||3 kcal|
|Garlic powder, spices|
|0.3 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|5.5 g||13.5 g||16.4 g||230 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!