I've always liked the taste of pizza crust made with cauliflower but I was never a fan of the cooking technique that always seemed to result in the same moist texture. This is an improved version of my original cauli-pizza recipe which I posted on my blog more than 2 years ago.
Compared to my previous recipe, I used less ingredients and also tried two new techniques that make the pizza crispier and full of flavour.
What I realised is that cooking the cauli-rice on a pan instead of steaming and squeezing the excess moisture out makes a difference. It enhances the flavour and also removes the excess water so that the cauli-crust can be cooked to perfection without being too soggy.
Another technique I used is flipping the crust throughout the baking process to further crisp it up. In fact, it's the same technique that I used to make my cauli-bread bites!
The best way to serve cauli-pizza is with a bowl of crispy greens, olive oil, lemon and your favourite seasoning to taste. If you like pizza, make sure you also check out these recipes!
Serving size 1/4 pizza
Allergy information for Foolproof Cauli-Pizza Pepperoni
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nut free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1/4 pizza)
Net carbs6.2 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 20%, fat 74%
Total carbs7.9 gramsFiber1.7 gramsSugars2.7 gramsSaturated fat16.4 gramsSodium1,209 mg(53% RDA)Magnesium37 mg(9% RDA)Potassium412 mg(21% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2-4 servings, one medium/ large pizza)
- 2 cups cauliflower rice (240 g/ 8.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil (30 ml)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, low-moisture pizza type (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar-free Marinara pizza sauce (60 g/ 2.1 oz) - you can make your own
- 1/2 cup grated low moisture mozzarella cheese (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 3 oz Pepperoni slices, pork or beef (85 g)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional). Start by grating the cauliflower to make the cauli-rice by following this recipe. Do not cook the cauli-rice. Grate the mozzarella and parmesan and place in a bowl. Keep some cheese aside for topping.
- Heat a large pan greased with 1 tablespoon of ghee over a medium-high heat and add the cauli-rice. Season with salt and lower the heat. Cook for about 15 minutes while stirring. Cook on low heat to remove as much moisture as you can without burning it. Once cooked, remove from the heat.
- Place the cooked cauli-rice into a bowl. Add a cup of grated mozzarella and 3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese. Add the garlic powder.
- Add dried oregano and one egg white. Mix until well combined using your hands.
- Place the dough on a pizza tray](http://amzn.to/1Nxoviv) (I used a 13-inch tray) lined with strong parchment paper and flatten to create the pizza crust using your hands. The crust should be no more than 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. Brush with some ghee and leave the rest for the other side.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and put put another piece of parchment paper on top of the crust. Flip on the other side so that the new parchment paper is on the bottom.
- Peel the top parchment off - use a knife to loosen it if needed. Cooking on both sides will help the crust get crispy. Brush with the remaining ghee.
- Place back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and spread the marinara sauce on top of the crust.
- Add the remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese and top with slices of Pepperoni (I put 2 layers of Pepperoni, about 30 slices).
- Place back in the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes until crisped up.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy hot or cold!
- To store, refrigerate for up to 4 days or reeze for uo to 3 months.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1/4 pizza)
|Cauliflower rice, homemade (cauli-rice, KetoDiet app)|
|1.8 g||1.2 g||0.2 g||15 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||7.5 g||68 kcal|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Garlic powder, spices|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|Egg white, fresh|
|0.1 g||0.9 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Mozzarella cheese (low moisture, for pizza)|
|2.4 g||10.1 g||8.4 g||125 kcal|
|0.5 g||5.4 g||3.9 g||59 kcal|
|0.7 g||0.2 g||2.4 g||25 kcal|
|Pepperoni, beef and pork, sliced|
|0.3 g||4.1 g||9.8 g||107 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||3.4 g||30 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving, 1/4 pizza|
|6.2 g||21.9 g||35.6 g||438 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!