If you never tried chaffles, I think it's time I introduce you to the best way to make them. Once you follow my recipe, you won't make these cheese waffles any other way!
For topping I used pepperoni pizza but you can top yours with other pizza options like roasted mushrooms, spinach, chicken or Parma ham. You can even use chaffles instead of bread to make a quick sandwich, the base for eggs Benedict or simply serve with stews and soups.
The basic chaffle recipe is similar to my Snickerdoodle Chaffles. The only difference is that I skipped the sweetener and used more baking powder. In general, you'll need less baking powder in sweet chaffles that you will in savoury chaffles, as most sweeteners act as a leavening agent. If you use too much baking powder, the dough is more likely to overflow and your chaffle maker will get messy.
If you want to make these Pepperoni Pizza Chaffles for your New Year's party, it's easy to make multiple batches in advance and then add the topping and broil just before serving.
Just like the original chaffle recipe, I used a 4-inch Dash Mini Waffle Iron. If you don't have one, feel free to use a regular waffle maker and double the batch to make about 3 regular-sized chaffles.
Follow us 36.6k
Love chaffles? Check out my latest keto cookbook! From basic flavoured chaffles, nut-free, dairy-free and even egg-free chaffles, sandwiches, burgers and garlic bread to sweet treats including cakes, s'mores and even donuts — my Keto Chaffles book is full of awesome recipes you will want to make over and over again!
If you order my new Chaffles book, I'll send you 5 bonus chaffle recipes and both of my 30-day keto diet plans as a gift — all instantly via email!
How to Make the Best Chaffles
Making chaffles is really easy but if you strive for chaffle perfection, there are a few rules you should follow. I've tested over 15 basic chaffle recipes before I found the best way to make a chaffle that is crispy on the outside and soft inside.
If you haven't tried that yet, blend the batter before pouring it in the waffle maker. It produces the perfect texture with no cheese bits and no eggy taste! Blending is optional but highly recommended. It's easier to blend if you have more batter so feel free to double or triple the recipe.
The size of the egg matters. A large egg should weigh approximately 50 grams (1.8 oz) but you may get 10-20% more or less even if it's a "large" egg. The recipe will still work with a slightly larger egg but the batter is more likely to leak out of your waffle maker.
For that reason, always keep an eye on the batter and if it's about to overflow, slightly lift the lid to reduce the pressure on the batter. This should stop the leak. You can also use a spatula to gently move any batter that is about to leak out back towards the waffle.
I'll be sharing even more tips in my keto chaffle guide soon so stay tuned!
Serving size chaffle
Allergy information for The Best Ever Keto Pepperoni Pizza Chaffles
✔ Gluten free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving, chaffle)
Net carbs4.5 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 24%, fat 70%
Total carbs6 gramsFiber1.5 gramsSugars2 gramsSaturated fat8.2 gramsSodium623 mg(27% RDA)Magnesium54 mg(13% RDA)Potassium252 mg(13% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 small chaffles)
- 2 tbsp sugar-free marinara sauce (30 ml) - you can make your own marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded low moisture mozzarella (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan (5 g/ 0.2 oz)
- 6 slices pepperoni (18 g/ 0.6 oz)
- basil leaves for garnish
- Optional: 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil to drizzle on top
- Measure out all the ingredients for the waffles. Preheat the waffle maker. You can use a 4-inch Dash Mini Waffle Iron or a regular waffle maker.
- You can either place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
- To make your chaffles fluffier with better texture, place the egg, mozzarella, almond flour and baking powder in a blender or a food processor. I used a small Bamix blender which is ideal for blending small amounts. Blending is optional but highly recommended.
- To make 2 small waffles, spoon half of the batter (about 4 tablespoons, about 66 g/ 2.3 oz) into the hot waffle maker. Close the waffle maker and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- When done, open the lid and let it cool down for a few seconds. Use a spatula to gently transfer the chaffle onto a cooling rack.
- Repeat for the remaining batter. The chaffles will be soft when they are warm but will crisp up as they cool down completely.
- Once cooked, top each waffles with a tablespoon (15 ml) of marinara sauce.
- Add grated mozzarella and parmesan.
- Finally top with pepperoni slices. Place under a broiler for 3 to 5 minutes until the pepperoni is crisped up and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with basil and optionally drizzle with olive oil. These Pizza Chaffles can be stored in a sealed container the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, chaffle)
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.2 g||3.1 g||2.4 g||36 kcal|
|Mozzarella cheese (low moisture, for pizza)|
|1.6 g||6.7 g||5.6 g||83 kcal|
|Almond flour (blanched ground almonds, almond meal)|
|1.1 g||2.7 g||6.6 g||74 kcal|
|Baking powder, gluten-free|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|0.7 g||0.2 g||2.4 g||25 kcal|
|Mozzarella cheese (low moisture, for pizza)|
|0.8 g||3.4 g||2.8 g||42 kcal|
|0.1 g||0.9 g||0.6 g||10 kcal|
|Pepperoni, salami, pork or beef|
|0 g||2 g||4 g||44 kcal|
|0 g||0.1 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Total per serving, chaffle|
|4.5 g||19.1 g||24.4 g||315 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!