These sugar-free vanilla protein bars are ideal for busy days when you just need to grab a quick and filling snack. Every ingredient used in this recipe has its purpose.
While almonds and collagen are a great source of protein, macadamia nuts will provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Hemp seeds are one of the best sources of magnesium. Chia seeds help the bars set and are a good source of fibre and omega 3 fats. Finally, MCT oil powder which is ideal for making keto bars, will provide an extra energy boost.
These bars need to be kept refrigerated. You could make them room temperature stable if you add more cacao butter. Just keep in mind that while this works well in chocolate flavoured bars, more cacao butter in these vanilla bars could be too overpowering.
Nutritional values (per bar)
|of which Saturated||7||grams|
|Magnesium||88||mg (22% RDA)|
|Potassium||217||mg (11% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4%), protein (17%), fat (79%)
Ingredients (makes 16 servings)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (134 g/ 4.7 oz)
- 60 g cacao butter or virgin coconut oil (2.1 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups almond butter, softened (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter, softened (64 g/ 2.2 oz)
- 1 cup collagen powder (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 6 scoops MCT oil powder (60 g/ 2.1 oz) - use code KETODIET at the check out to get 20% off
- 1/3 cup powdered Erythritol or Swerve (53 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (38 g/ 1.3 oz)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (35 g/ 1.2 oz)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or 2 tsp unsweetened vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F. Place the macadamia nuts in a baking tray and transfer into the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, and then remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, melt the cacao butter. Add the almond butter and cashew butter and mix until smooth and well combined. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Measure out all of the remaining ingredients: MCT oil powder, collagen powder, powdered Erythritol, chia seeds, hemp seeds and vanilla powder.
- Add them to the bowl with the melted cacao & nut butter. Mix until well combined.
- Place the dough in a container (you can use a silicone square baking dish like this one). Flatten with a spatula and top with the roasted macadamia nuts. Transfer into the fridge for about an hour or until set.
- Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, slice it into 16 bars.
Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.