Just like my previous recipe, I was planning to post this salad for more than a year. Roasted strawberries, balsamic vinegar and goat cheese are amazing flavours to combine. I also added some bee pollen which gives it a fabulous honey taste!
Here is why I like bee pollen:
- It's a super-food high in protein (30-40%), B, C, D and E vitamins, calcium, magnesium, potassium and selenium
- Studies show that it lessens the negative effects of chemotherapy and it's great for boosting immunity.
- May help with allergies. However, if you have pollen allergies, you have to be careful, as bee pollen may cause severe allergic reactions. It is also not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
"Research reported by Dr. Airola has found that bee pollen is good for prostate difficulties, hemorrhoids, asthma, allergies, digestive disorders, curing intestinal putrefaction, chronic bronchitis, multiple sclerosis, gastric ulcers, arthritis, and hay fever, and possesses anti-aging properties. According to Dr. Alain Caillais, in Le Pollen, 35 grams of bee pollen per day would satisfy the total nutritional needs of the average person." (PDF)
Low-carb and paleo diets are already high in nutrients so you won't need to consume the 35 grams of bee pollen as recommended above. Also, bee pollen contains too many carbs for those following a keto diet, so you should use it sparingly. 1 teaspoon / 9 g / 0.3 oz contains 3.8 g net carbs. Make sure you use high quality organic bee pollen free of chemicals.
Tips and Substitutions
I used homemade pork rinds from pork skin I get from my local farmer. When I don't have any left, I sometimes get pork rinds from here. These must be the only pork rinds made with pure pork skins (no additives) here in the UK.
Serving size 1 salad
Allergy information for Low-Carb Roasted Strawberry & Goat Cheese Salad
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 salad)
Net carbs7.4 grams
Calories from carbs 4%, protein 17%, fat 79%
Total carbs12.1 gramsFiber4.7 gramsSugars6.4 gramsSaturated fat19.5 gramsSodium334 mg(15% RDA)Magnesium73 mg(18% RDA)Potassium511 mg(26% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 1 cup strawberries, ideally fresh but frozen work too when thawed (144 g/ 5.1 oz)
- 2-3 packages goat's cheese rounds (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 1/2 cup pork rinds, powdered (25 g/ 0.9 oz) - you can make your own
- 1/2 cup pecans, raw or roasted (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 4 cups fresh lettuce, green, red or mixed (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (15 ml) - avoid sweet syrupy types of balsamic
- Optional: 1 tsp bee pollen
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!