Comfort food doesn't get more classic than lasagne. My low-carb and gluten-free take on this Italian classic features delicious layers of thinly sliced butternut squash, homemade marinara sauce, ground beef, creamy herb-infused ricotta, melty mozzarella and crispy Parmesan.
I used pre-cut butternut squash from a local grocery store. If you can get pre-cut squash, it will save you a ton of time but if not, simply use a mandolin.
Although this grain-free lasagna is not ultra low in carbs, it can be included on a keto diet as long as you stay within your macros. It's high in nutrients and ideal for intermittent fasting when you eat one or two meals per day.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||24.3||grams|
|Magnesium||74||mg (19% RDA)|
|Potassium||805||mg (40% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (25%), fat (68%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- Prepare the Marinara Sauce by following this recipe. Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F.
- I used pre-cut butternut squash lasagne sheets. If you can't get pre-cut slices, simply peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Then use a mandolin to slice it thinly (about ⅛ inch or ¼ cm).
- Grease a large pan with ghee and add the ground beef. Cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring, or until opaque. Add half of the marinara sauce and oregano. Season with half of the salt and pepper.
- Prepare the ricotta layer. Combine the ricotta, eggs, chopped parsley and basil. Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread the remaining marinara sauce on the bottom of a large casserole dish. I used a 26 x 18 x 6.5 cm (10 x 7 x 2.5 inch) casserole dish. Add the first layer of butternut squash slices. You will use a total of 3 butternut squash layers.
- Top with half of the ground meat mixture and half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Add another layer of butternut squash slices and top with the remaining ground beef.
- Spread the remaining ricotta cheese mixture on top of the ground beef.
- Top with the remaining butternut slices, grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the casserole with a baking foil and transfer into the oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Once cooled, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!