Looking for a vegetarian alternative for your family’s Christmas dinner? How about trying this grain-free Spiced Pumpkin, Feta and Cranberry Tart? This keto savoury tart base has received lots of amazing reviews, converting even the most die hard carb eaters into low carb keto lovers.
This Christmas it’s filled with festive spices and balsamic roasted cranberries. Have you tried cranberries roasted before? It really accentuates their beautiful sweet flavour, complemented here with some creamy, salty feta. Delicious.
This low-carb tart would be a show stopper on your Boxing Day buffet too.
Nutritional values (per serving, slice)
|of which Saturated||8.6||grams|
|Magnesium||93||mg (23% RDA)|
|Potassium||469||mg (23% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (11%), protein (13%), fat (76%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 400 g of chopped pumpkin (14.1 oz) - I use Hokkaido for lower carbs and no need to remove the skin
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (45 ml)
- 1 medium red onion (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- zest of ½ lemon (1 tsp)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- bunch of kale (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (15 ml)
- bunch of fresh coriander, stalks removed (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese (113 g/ 4 oz)
- 5 medium eggs
- ½ tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- ⅓ tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350 F (fan assisted). Make the pie crust as per the recipe here: Multipurpose Keto Pie Crust
- Slice the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and cut into wedges about 1 cm thick (If using a different type of pumpkin you will also need to remove the skin). Place the pumpkin of a baking tray, toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of paprika and 1 teaspoon of ground coriander and a pinch of salt.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until soft and golden.
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic (keep separate). Blitz the kale in a high speed food processor until fine.
- Place the cranberries on another baking tray with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. Mix well and roast in the oven for 15 minutes until soft.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and gently fry on a medium/ low heat for about 3 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry together for 1 further minute. Add the kale plus 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos and a pinch of salt and fry for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat.
- Place the kale mix in the baked crust. Add crumbled feta, pumpkin, cranberries and chopped fresh coriander (reserve a little bit of each to sprinkle on top before serving). Finally, sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Crack open the eggs into a cup. Whisk using a fork until combined. Season with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Evenly pour the eggs over the filling to fill the sides. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the eggs set.
- To serve, top with the remaining feta, pumpkin, cranberries and a sprinkling of fresh coriander.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for 1 month.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!