Nothing says summer like a barbecue. From family gatherings to birthday parties or office events, barbecues bring people together while enjoying some of the best seasonal produce.
This meal is another great addition to the collection of my keto-friendly BBQ recipes. I used fresh herbs & spices, lemon zest and Spanish chorizo for a smoky flavour boost. I served the meatballs with a simple vegetable salsa and some keto buns which is one of the most popular recipes on my blog and amongst my friends. It's definitely the best low-carb & grain-free bread recipe I've tried. In fact, it proved to be so popular that I also made a nut-free version! :-)
Follow us 46.4k
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 skewers)
|of which Saturated||19.1||grams|
|Magnesium||42||mg (11% RDA)|
|Potassium||697||mg (35% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (2%), protein (26%), fat (73%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings, 8 skewers)
- 600 g ground beef (1.3 lb/ 21.2 oz)
- ½ medium red onion (50 g/ 1.7 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large egg, free-range or organic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest (use organic unwaxed lemons)
- ½ tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- 200 g Spanish chorizo or other hard type (7.1 oz)
Wondering what's the difference between Spanish and Mexican chorizo? Have a look at this post at The Kitchn. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Peel and finely dice the onion. Place the meat in a mixing bowl and add the onion, crushed garlic, fresh lemon zest, freshly chopped herbs, paprika and egg.
- Using your hands or a fork, combine all the ingredients. If preparing in advance, cover the meat with a foil and place in the fridge overnight. When the meat is ready for the barbecue, slice the chorizo sausage (I used Spanish chorizo but you can use any other hard type). Using your hands, form 24 meatballs: 3 meatballs per skewer = 6 meatballs per serving (about 30 grams/ 1 ounce per meatball).
- Assemble the skewers by piercing through the meatballs and chorizo slices in an alternating order (3 meatballs and 4 chorizo slices per skewer).
- Place the skewers on the barbecue and cook on high for 7-8 minutes or until crispy on the outside and cooked inside. Enjoy!
Tips for pan roasting: Preheat a large regular or griddle pan greased with lard or ghee on high heat. Turn the heat down to medium and place the skewers on the pan. When done, set aside and keep them warm near the cooker.
Tips for oven cooking: Cook under a broiler, or bake at 200 C / 400 F until the meatballs are golden for 12-15 minutes.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!