Cauliflower is one of the staples in my kitchen. You can use it instead of rice, in a delicious grain-free pizza base and even instead of potatoes to make this creamy mash. There are several other ways you can use this healthy cruciferous vegetable and I've included several recipes in the KetoDiet Cookbook and the KetoDiet App. If you want to add some healthy protein in this "risotto", try chicken, prawns or salmon.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||17.4||grams|
|Magnesium||48||mg (12% RDA)|
|Potassium||682||mg (34% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8.5%), protein (19.4%), fat (72.1%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 6 cups Cauli-rice - about 1 medium cauliflower (720 g / 1.6 lb / 25.4 oz)
- ¼ cup ghee or butter - you can make your own ghee (55 g / 1.9 oz)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped (70 g / 1.9 oz)
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock (240 ml / 8 fl oz)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (you can make your own)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (110 g / 4 oz)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (60 g / 2.1 oz)
- 2-4 tbsp freshly chopped chives, parsley or spring onion
- salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Make the cauliflower rice by following this recipe. Do not cook the cauli-rice.
For best results, use a grating blade on your food processor to create rice-like shapes. I used my Kenwood mixer with a food processor attachment.
- Grease a large pan with ghee or butter. Once hot, add the finely chopped onion and cook over a medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add the cauli-rice and mix well.
- Cook for just a few minutes and pour in the chicken stock (or vegetable stock). Cook for another 5 minutes or until the cauli-rice is crisp-tender. Meanwhile, grate the cheddar and parmesan cheese.
- Add the mustard, stir and take off the heat.
- Add the grated cheese and mix well. Keep some parmesan cheese for garnish. Add the freshly chopped chives and also keep some for garnish. Season with salt to taste if needed.
- Place the "risotto" into serving bowls and top with the remaining parmesan cheese and chives. Enjoy hot!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!