Can't decide whether to make a cheesecake or ice-cream? Why not try Strawberry Cheesecake Ice-cream? This recipe is a combination of these two very popular desserts and I can guarantee you won't miss Strawberry Cheesecake Ice-cream from Häagen-Dazs! Remember, although it's low in carbs, make sure you don't eat the whole thing in one go! :-)
You will need an ice-cream maker to make the ice-cream soft and creamy. I use this professional ice-cream maker from Cuisinart that has a built-in freezer. It's easy to use and makes excellent ice-cream. Depending on your budget, there are some cheaper ice-cream makers without built-in freezer.
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 scoops)
|of which Saturated||15.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.8%), protein (8.3%), fat (84.9%)
Ingredients (makes 10 servings)
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream, 30-40% fat (360g / 12.7 oz)
- 1 cup cream cheese, full-fat (300g / 10.6 oz)
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen strawberries (200g / 7.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp alcohol-based vanilla extract (or 2 tbsp vodka + sugar-free vanilla extract)
- 1 vanilla bean (~ ½ tsp)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (9g / 0.3 oz)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp Erythritol, non GMO, powdered, or other healthy natural low-carb sweetener from this list (20g / 0.7 oz)
- 5-10 drops Stevia extract (Clear / Vanilla / Berry)
Note: You can avoid using sweeteners, as the ice -cream will get some sweetness from the strawberries. In either case, the effect on net carbs will be insignificant. Alternatively, you can use honey - just make sure you add the extra carbs. For nut-free option, use ¼ cup coconut flour instead of almond flour for the crust. For a dairy-free version, try using coconut cream instead of cream and cream cheese. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Prepare the ice-cream by making sure the cream is chilled and place together with the cream cheese in a large bowl. Add the sweeteners, lemon juice, vanilla bean, vanilla extract, arrowroot powder and combine well.
Note: Adding alcohol-based vanilla extract prevents it from getting too hard, while arrowroot powder helps with thickening. Both of them will help make the ice-cream nice and creamy.
Also, Erythritol doesn't dissolve easily unless heated up. For a smoother texture you can blend it until powdered.
- Blend or mash the strawberries, add them to the bowl and mix well. Pour into the ice-cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Note: mine took just about 45 minutes. This varies based on the make of your ice-cream maker from 45-90 minutes!
- Meanwhile, prepare the crust. Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add melted butter and combine well. If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of water.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (not wax paper), place the dough on it and roll into 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into small squares. Place the baking tray in the oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes until golden.
- When done, set aside and leave to cool down.
- Break the crust into the precut squares.
- When the ice-cream is done, transfer into a large container and fold in the squares of the crust. Place in the freezer for at least 30-60 minutes before serving to allow the crust to soften. To store for later, place in small single-serving containers and keep in the freezer.
Note: You may prefer to use small containers for better portion control.
Ice-cream straight from the freezer may be too hard but you know the trick. Microwave for 10-20 seconds or leave at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!