This must be the most delicious tomato soup I've ever made!
Roasting all the vegetables and aromatics before boiling them in flavorful chicken stock and then blending everything until smooth adds an amazing depth which pairs really well with crunchy Parmesan crisps and some fresh basil. It's a really simple low-carb meal the whole family will love!
This recipe makes eight generous servings which will be enough for a light lunch or dinner option, especially when paired with Parmesan crisps and/or some toasted Quick Keto Bread. If you're only cooking for yourself, you can either halve the recipe or freeze any leftovers for later.
If you're serving this creamy vegetable soup as an appetizer rather than a full meal, you'll be able to stretch it to up to 12 servings, about a cup (240 ml) each.
The crunchy cheese crisps in this recipe are made with Parmesan cheese which can be substituted with any hard cheese including pecorino, cheddar and even goat's cheese.
If you need to make this recipe vegetarian, simple replace the chicken stock with some vegetable stock or water, and use a vegetarian friendly cheese.
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size about 1 1/2 cups/ 360 ml
Allergy information for Roasted Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 1 1/2 cups/ 360 ml)
Net carbs8.3 grams
Calories from carbs 13%, protein 15%, fat 72%
Total carbs12.7 gramsFiber4.5 gramsSugars7.3 gramsSaturated fat5 gramsSodium687 mg(30% RDA)Magnesium28 mg(7% RDA)Potassium939 mg(47% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 1.6 kg cherry tomatoes (3.5 lbs)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large red onion (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 1 medium carrot (85 g/ 3 oz)
- 2 medium zucchini (500 g/ 1.1 lbs)
- 4 celery stalks (300 g/ 14.1 oz)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (960 ml)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese or any Italian style hard cheese (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- Optional: 2 to 4 tbsp low-carb sweetener such as Allulose or Erythritol
- fresh basil to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional). Wash the tomatoes and remove any green parts. Peel the garlic cloves, carrot and onion. Roughly chop the zucchini, celery, carrot and onion.
- Place everything in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the tray halfway to ensure even browning. Remove from the oven and transfer into a large soup pot.
- Add the chicken stock (or vegetable stock) and bring to a boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce to medium and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Take off the heat and let it cool down slightly before blending.
- Meanwhile, make the parmesan crisps. Grate the Parmesan (or any Italian hard cheese). Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a baking mat and make 8 small heaps with plenty of space between them as the parmesan will spread while baking.
- Place in the oven preheated to 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional) and bake for about 8 minutes, or until light golden and crispy.
- To puree the soup, use and immersion blender and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and season more if needed. Optionally, you can add 2 to 4 tablespoons of low-carb sweetener such as Allulose or Erythritol. Set aside.
- Serve the soup with the parmesan crisps and some fresh basil. To store the soup, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze in manageable portions for up to 6 months. The parmesan crisps can be stored at room temperature.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 1 1/2 cups/ 360 ml)
|Tomatoes, cherry, fresh, all varieties|
|3.6 g||1.4 g||0.6 g||34 kcal|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Onion, red, fresh|
|1.2 g||0.2 g||0 g||7 kcal|
|0.7 g||0.1 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Zucchini (summer squash, courgette)|
|1.3 g||0.8 g||0.2 g||11 kcal|
|Celery stalk, fresh|
|0.5 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||13.5 g||119 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Chicken stock (broth), chicken only, homemade|
|0 g||2.4 g||2.4 g||31 kcal|
|0.4 g||4 g||2.9 g||44 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving, about 1 1/2 cups/ 360 ml|
|8.3 g||9.3 g||19.8 g||260 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!