Introducing Breton Chicken — a delightful, low-carb, and protein-packed dish that's as easy to make as it is delicious.
This recipe is not only perfect for a quick and satisfying midweek dinner, but it also shines as a meal prep option. Serve it alongside creamy cauliflower mash, zucchini noodles, or shirataki noodles to keep it low-carb.
With flavorful ingredients like chicken breasts, Dijon mustard, white wine, and creme fraiche, this dish is sure to impress. Top it off with a sprinkle of fresh thyme or parsley for an added touch of herbaceous goodness.
Let's dive into this mouthwatering recipe!
This recipe is made with skin-on chicken breasts which are a great high-protein option that are packed full of flavor. You can also use skin-on chicken thighs (boneless or bone-in). If you use any of these alternatives, make sure to adjust the cooking time. It will take less time if you use boneless chicken thighs, and about the same time if you use bone-in chicken breasts. Not a fan of chicken skin? You can also skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
If you're watching your carb intake, be mindful that leeks contain a moderate amount of carbs. If you prefer a lower-carb option, you can either reduce the amount of leeks or consider substituting them partially with spring onions in the Breton Chicken recipe. This way, you can customize the dish to suit your dietary preferences without compromising on taste. And don't forget that you can do that all in our app in a few simple steps. Easy peasy!
This easy low-carb recipe is best served with cauliflower mash, cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, or with shirataki noodles for a lower carb option (here's how to prepare shirataki noodles).
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size chicken breast + sauce
Allergy information for Low-Carb Breton Chicken
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, chicken breast + sauce)
Net carbs9.4 grams
Calories from carbs 7%, protein 25%, fat 68%
Total carbs11 gramsFiber1.6 gramsSugars4.3 gramsSaturated fat17.6 gramsSodium449 mg(20% RDA)Magnesium57 mg(14% RDA)Potassium507 mg(25% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 large or 4 small chicken breasts, skin-on, boneless (600 g/ 1.3 lb)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin avocado oil or olive oil, divided (30 ml)
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee (30 ml)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1 large leek, sliced (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard or yellow mustard (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (80 ml/ 2.7 fl oz)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (45 ml)
- 2/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream (160 g/ 5.6 oz)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or parsley
- Optional: serve with cauliflower mash or zucchini noodles
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper from both sides (use 1 small or 1/2 large chicken breast per each serving). Peel and slice the onion and carrot into thin slices. Slice the leek and mince the garlic.
- Grease a skillet with 1 tbsp of avocado oil (or olive oil). Add the chicken breasts, skin side down, and cook on medium-high for about 3 minutes without moving. Turn on the other side, reduce to medium, and cook for another 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. (If you use a meat thermometer, the temperature should reach about 75 °C/ 165 °F.)
- Grease the skillet where you cooked the chicken with the remaining 1 tbsp avocado oil and all of the butter (or ghee). Add the onion and cook on medium-high for 3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the garlic, carrot and leek. Cover with a lid and cook on medium for 8 to 10 minutes, until the carrot is tender.
- Add the Dijon mustard (or yellow mustard), white wine and lemon juice. Stir through to combine. Add the creme fraiche (or sour cream) and cook until the sauce is thickened and creamy, for about 3 minutes. Add the fresh chopped herbs such as thyme or parsley.
- Add back the chicken, skin side up, and cook for a few minutes just to heat through. You can optionally place the skillet under a broiler to crisp up the skin (make sure to use an oven-friendly skillet).
- Slice the chicken and serve. Eat with cauliflower mash, cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, or with shirataki noodles for a lower carb option (here's how to prepare shirataki noodles).
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, chicken breast + sauce)
|Chicken, breast (with skin, raw)|
|0 g||31.3 g||13.9 g||258 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Avocado oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||7 g||62 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||5.8 g||51 kcal|
|Onion, brown (yellow), raw|
|0.9 g||0.1 g||0 g||5 kcal|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|1 g||0.1 g||0 g||6 kcal|
|Leeks, (bulb and lower leaf-portion), raw|
|4.6 g||0.6 g||0.1 g||23 kcal|
|0.1 g||0.1 g||0.1 g||2 kcal|
|Wine, white, dry|
|0.4 g||0 g||0 g||16 kcal|
|Lemon juice, fresh|
|0.6 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|1.2 g||1.2 g||13.2 g||126 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving, chicken breast + sauce|
|9.4 g||33.7 g||40.2 g||554 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!