I only recently got my first pressure cooker. I was super hesitant at first, but once I realised that I could make a perfect healthy bone broth in an hour and a half, I was hooked.
This is a recipe that I cook in my slow cooker a lot, so I tweaked it slightly to work with both a slow cooker and a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Moist and tender threads of chicken breast enveloped in a rich, sweet, smokey low-carb sauce.
Eat it in lettuce cups, over baby spinach, with cauli-rice or shirataki rice. I like to top mine with a hefty dollop of sour cream for added healthy fats and to offset the richness of the sauce. Enjoy!
Note: A tablespoon of molasses will add about 2 grams of net carbs per serving. If you want to achieve similar results but don't want to add extra carbs to your keto meal, you can swap the 3 tablespoons of Swerve for 3-5 tablespoons of brown sugar substitute such as Sukrin or Lakanto.
Serving size about 170 g/ 6 oz
Allergy information for Low-Carb Sweet & Smoky Pulled Chicken
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 170 g/ 6 oz)
Net carbs4.3 grams
Calories from carbs 7%, protein 47%, fat 46%
Total carbs5.8 gramsFiber1.6 gramsSugars2.9 gramsSaturated fat2 gramsSodium824 mg(36% RDA)Magnesium49 mg(12% RDA)Potassium674 mg(34% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 750 g chicken breasts, skinless and boneless (1.65 lb)
- 400 ml unsweetened tomato passata (sauce) (13.5 fl oz)
- 100 ml apple cider vinegar (3.5 fl oz)
- 3 tbsp Swerve or Erythritol (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- Optional: 1 tbsp molasses (20 g/ 0.7 oz) - see note above
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos (45 ml)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- Optional: 1 cup sour cream, full-fat yogurt or creme fraiche to serve
- Place the chicken breasts into the base of your Instant Pot. Combine all other ingredients (except for the olive oil) in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts and place lid on pot.
- Lock off and set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes (or slow cook on low for 6 hours). Once finished, release the steam if applicable and remove the chicken (natural release works best in this case).
- Place the chicken in a dish and shred with two forks. If the sauce is too runny, you could thicken it with about 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum, but I’ve never had to. Spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Combine well until the chicken is coated from all sides. Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken and combine.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 7 days. Best served with non-starchy veggies such as zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, cauliflower mash, shirataki rice or in crispy lettuce leaves.
- Optionally, serve with sour cream, full-fat yogurt or creme fraiche.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 170 g/ 6 oz)
|Chicken, breast (without skin, raw)|
|0 g||28.1 g||3.3 g||150 kcal|
|Tomato sauce (passata), unsweetened|
|2.6 g||0.8 g||0.2 g||17 kcal|
|Apple cider vinegar|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Swerve, natural sweetener (Erythritol and chicory inulin based)|
|0.3 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Garlic powder, spices|
|0.3 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Pepper, cayenne, spices|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Paprika, smoked (spices)|
|0.2 g||0.2 g||0.1 g||3 kcal|
|Coconut aminos (substitute to soy sauce)|
|0.5 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||9 g||80 kcal|
|Total per serving, about 170 g/ 6 oz|
|4.3 g||29.2 g||12.7 g||259 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!