A breakfast, lunch or dinner favourite. Don’t you just love a recipe that you fancy at any time of the day? This low carb roast salmon, kale and poached egg bowl is the perfect balance of healthy fats, fibre, carbs and protein to keep hunger at bay, insulin levels stable and your belly happy and healthy. It works really well with smoked salmon too if you prefer.
I used keto superfoods like salmon, avocado, kale and eggs. They are great sources of quality protein, healthy fats and electrolytes, making it the ideal dish for those who practice intermittent fasting while following a lchf diet. Whether you prefer skipping a meal or fast for 24 hours, this is the ideal low-carb recipe to break your fast.
Just one serving will provide over 70% of your daily potassium and 30% magnesium. And remember, if you just started following a ketogenic diet, don’t be afraid to use salt. Sufficient sodium will keep keto-flu at bay!
Allergy information for Keto Salmon, Kale & Poached Egg Bowl
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs7.2 grams
Calories from carbs 4%, protein 22%, fat 74%
Total carbs16.4 gramsFiber9.2 gramsSugars2.3 gramsSaturated fat14.2 gramsSodium297 mg(13% RDA)Magnesium114 mg(29% RDA)Potassium1,445 mg(72% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 3 1/2 cups curly kale (175 g/ 6.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (15 ml)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil or more olive oil (30 ml)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (15 ml)
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 2 wild salmon fillets (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1 tbsp ghee, butter or coconut oil (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ 355 °F (fan assisted). Mix the coconut aminos, olive and sesame oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Blitz or finely chop the kale. Massage the dressing into the kale and allow to stand whilst you make the salmon and eggs.
- Heat the butter or coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan. Fry the salmon fillets, skin side up on a medium heat for about 3 - 4 minutes. Flip and cook for a further 3 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the chopped garlic for the remaining 30 seconds – 1 minute until crisp. Remove the salmon from the pan and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the almonds on a baking tray and roast for 6 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place a pan on water with a pinch of salt on the hob and bring to the boil. Crack the eggs separately into a cup. Swirl the water in a circular direction and gently pour in the eggs one at a time. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes on a medium heat for a medium poach (firm white, runny yolk) or to your liking. Remove from the water and drain on kitchen roll.
- Remove the skin from the salmon and pull into flakes.
- Place the kale in a bowl, top with salmon and garlic, almonds, sliced avocado and perfect poached egg. Eat immediately.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Kale, curly, fresh|
|3.2 g||1.7 g||0.4 g||25 kcal|
|Coconut aminos (substitute to soy sauce)|
|0.5 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||13.5 g||119 kcal|
|Sesame oil, toasted|
|0 g||0 g||13.6 g||120 kcal|
|Lemon juice, fresh|
|0.4 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|0 g||32.4 g||8.9 g||219 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||7.5 g||68 kcal|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.4 g||6.3 g||4.8 g||72 kcal|
|1.8 g||2 g||14.7 g||160 kcal|
|Almonds, nuts (flaked, sliced)|
|0.4 g||1.5 g||3.4 g||38 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|7.2 g||44 g||66.6 g||826 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!