I’ve been wanting to make a Keto scone recipe for a while. Something denser than a muffin that I can snack on or as an accompaniment to soup.
These keto bacon and cheese scones are the perfect savoury snack. Nibble on their own, smother in avocado or dunk into a bowl of any hearty keto soup.
Nutritional values (per scone)
|of which Saturated||2.3||grams|
|Magnesium||43||mg (11% RDA)|
|Potassium||131||mg (7% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4%), protein (19%), fat (77%)
Ingredients (makes 15 scones)
Note: Instead of whole flax seeds that will be ground, you can use an equivalent amount of ready-made flax meal (ground flax seeds).
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/ 375 F (fan assisted). Blitz the flax seeds in a blender until fine, or optionally use ground flax seeds.
- Combine the ground almonds, flax, coconut flour, baking powder, chives, cheese (reserve some for topping), chives, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Combine.
- Chop the bacon fine and fry in a dry non stick pan for about 3 - 4 minutes until cooked. Allow to cool.
- In a cup, crack open the eggs and whisk with the almond milk using a fork.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet (almond mix to egg mix) and fold to form a dough. Stir through the bacon.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper until about 1 cm thick.
- Cut into small scone shapes using a cookie cutter (6 cm/ 2 ½ inch). Re-roll the ‘dough’ until all the mixture is used up.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. After 10 minutes, sprinkle on the rest of the cheese and place back in the oven for the remaining 5 minutes. The scones can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!