This Keto Breakfast Casserole is a great recipe for weekends, brunches, or holidays when you have a house full of family. This is a low-carb breakfast option that everyone will love and doesn’t require a ton of speciality ingredients. You can also use this recipe as a meal prep option since it reheats beautifully in a toaster oven or microwave.
The turnip in this recipe is my favorite part. I love how it mimics potatoes but is keto friendly. Cooking it along with the onion imparts a great flavor combo as well. You can cook the turnip and onion in any oil you wish but my vote is for a little reserved grease from cooking the bacon.
If you’re dairy free you can use unsweetened almond milk and skip the cheese, this will still be one delicious breakfast!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||11.4||grams|
|Magnesium||46||mg (12% RDA)|
|Potassium||564||mg (28% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (26%), fat (69%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 lb thick-cut bacon (450 g)
- 2 tbsp reserved bacon grease or ghee (30 ml)
- 1 small turnip, diced (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 3 cups spinach (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- 12 large eggs
- ⅓ cup whole milk (80 ml/ 2.7 fl oz) - see note for substitutions
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (57 g/ 2 oz)
Note: A small amount of whole milk can be used. However, if you want to avoid it altogether, you can use ⅓ cup of almond milk, or a combination of 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream mixed with ¼ cup water.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C. Cut the bacon into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces and arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes until crisp, ant then remove from the oven. You can use the bacon grease for greasing the pan in the next step.
- Heat the reserved bacon grease in a medium pan over medium high heat. Add in the turnip and onion, cook until soft about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Top the turnip and onion with the spinach.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and spices. Pour over the spinach.
- Sprinkle the cheese across the top then arrange the bacon in a single layer across the top of the casserole.
- Transfer to the oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set. Serve. To store, keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!