I’m new to the world of breakfast casseroles. They’re just not a common dish here in Australia, or not to my knowledge anyway.
But they’re growing on me. It’s a good way to be able to pre-prepare the dish and then set and forget until you need it.
If you’ve got an early start, it’s nice to have breakfast cooked and ready to eat when you wake up. And I’m all about life being easier first thing in the morning!
This is a pretty basic recipe, but you could bulk it up with minced meat, or change the vegetables to your preferred tastes.
Allergy information for Keto Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nut free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs4 grams
Calories from carbs 5%, protein 30%, fat 65%
Total carbs6.1 gramsFiber2.1 gramsSugars2.7 gramsSaturated fat9.8 gramsSodium826 mg(36% RDA)Magnesium65 mg(16% RDA)Potassium503 mg(25% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 large bacon slices (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- 3 tbsp chopped shallots (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (75 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 8 large leaves of kale, shredded finely (160 g/ 5.6 oz) - I picked mine from the garden and the leaves were quite small, so I used more
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (90 g/ 3.2 oz) - you could substitute for your cheese of choice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: serve with spinach and sliced avocado dressed in extra virgin olive oil
- Remove the hard stems from the kale and chop into small pieces.
- Cook the bacon until crispy and then add the red pepper, mushroom and shallot. Sautee until just softened.
- Add the kale and turn off the heat to allow kale to wilt but not cook.
- Beat the eggs, with salt and pepper, until well combined.
- Turn the slow cooker on to high and place the butter in to melt. Once melted, brush the inside of the slow cooker with the melted butter.
- Place the sautéed vegetables into the base of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the vegetables and then pour the egg mixture in on top.
- Stir through and then cook on high for approx. 1.5 hours, or on low for approx. 6 hours. These times can vary wildly depending on the size, model and age of your slow cooker so I would recommend doing a test batch to determine your cooking times.
- Enjoy with sliced avocado and leafy greens, or let it cool down. Leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for four days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.5 g||9.4 g||7.1 g||107 kcal|
|Bacon, streaky (high fat content), organic|
|0 g||3.1 g||5.6 g||63 kcal|
|1 g||0.2 g||0 g||5 kcal|
|Peppers, red bell, fresh|
|0.7 g||0.2 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|Mushrooms (white), fresh|
|0.4 g||0.5 g||0.1 g||4 kcal|
|Kale, dark leaf, Italian black kale (cavolo nero)|
|0.6 g||1.4 g||0.6 g||14 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0 g||2.9 g||25 kcal|
|0.7 g||8 g||5.8 g||88 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|4 g||22.9 g||22.2 g||313 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!