I love the simplicity of this chicken skewers recipe and it’s always a people pleaser when we’re having a keto BBQ. The dipping sauce really makes it and thanks to a combination of almond butter and tahini is a great low carb alternative to traditional peanut butter.
If you love Chilli ramp up the heat. I like more subtle notes of spice so added a touch, if you don’t like spice at all, simply leave out. Either way it’s delicious.
These chicken kebabs can be cooked on the BBQ, on the griddle or under the grill for a quick week day dinner. Feel free to substitute thighs with breast if you prefer but I think the thighs are tastier.
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 skewers)
|of which Saturated||4.3||grams|
|Magnesium||71||mg (18% RDA)|
|Potassium||458||mg (23% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (32%), fat (61%)
Ingredients (makes 3 servings, 6 skewers)
Spicy satay dipping sauce:
- 1 heaped tbsp almond butter (32 g/ 1.1 oz)
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 tbsp tahini (16 g/ 0.6 oz)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk (30 ml)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (6 g/ 0.2 oz)
- ½ small chilli, finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Optional for garnish:
- lime wedges
- fresh parsley to taste
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Coat the chicken with the marinade and allow to rest for ideally 2 hours or overnight. If you’re in a rush you can use it straight away. The flavour just tastes better if you let the flavours absorb into the chicken.
- If BBQ’ing thread the chicken thighs onto skewers and grill for approximately 40 - 50 minutes on a medium heat so they don’t burn on the outside, turning regularly, until thoroughly cooked through. Alternatively you can cook in the oven (200 C/ 400 F fan assisted) for about 25 - 30 minutes, turning half way through to ensure even cooking, or in a griddle pan. If using wooden skewers, soak them for 20 minutes in water first to make sure the sticks don’t burn.
- For the Keto satay sauce, finely dice the chilli. Add all the satay ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning and spicing to your liking.
- Serve the chicken skewers with a drizzle of satay sauce and top with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley and a touch more lime if you fancy. Try with Easy Summer Vegetable Salsa or
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!