This easy to prepare pull-apart pizza bread makes a great keto appetiser or side dish. I used chorizo and grated mozzarella but you can add bacon, grated cheddar or Swiss cheese, olives or even sun dried tomatoes. Your imagination is the only limit to what you can come up with!
If you can eat nuts but are dairy-free, try my Ultimate Keto Bun recipe for the bread base, and add your favourite toppings.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||4.5||grams|
|Magnesium||45||mg (11% RDA)|
|Potassium||169||mg (8% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (28%), fat (67%)
Ingredients (makes 12 servings/ buns)
- ½ cup homemade Marinara sauce (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ cup water, lukewarm (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1 tsp ghee or duck fat for greasing
Note: Instead of 1 tsp cream of tartar + ½ tsp baking soda, you can use 2 tsp of gluten-free baking powder.
- 120 g diced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (4.2 oz)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (113 g/ 4 oz)
- Optional: leftover Marinara sauce for topping/ dipping
Make sure you weigh all the dry ingredients using a kitchen scale. Even small differences can affect the final result of this recipe, especially in case of psyllium and flax meal!
- Prepare the marinara sauce by following this recipe. You will need ½ cup for the bread (any leftover marinara can be used as a dip or stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks).
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350 F. In a bowl, mix ½ cup of marinara sauce, egg whites and water.
- Dice the chorizo into small pieces (up to 1 cm/ ½-inch each) and set aside.
- In a bowl or a mixer, combine all the dry ingredients: sesame flour, flax meal, parmesan cheese, psyllium powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Grease a medium cast iron skillet (25 cm/ 10-inch) and heat over a medium heat.
- Pour the marinara mixture into the bowl, process for a few seconds, and then add the diced chorizo.
- Using your hands, make round 12 buns (about 60 g/ 2 oz each), and place in the preheated skillet. Transfer into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with grated mozzarella cheese and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and crisped up.
- When done, remove from the oven and let the bread cool down for 5 minutes. Optionally, serve with the remaining marinara sauce. To prevent the bread from getting moist, don't leave it in the skillet. Instead, place on a cooling rack.
To store, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!